SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    SitePoint Guru Rebirth Studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question 5-Year Domain Term increases Search Engine Ranking?

    I've never heard this before, but I was on Network Solutions when I saw this graphic.

  2. #2
    Non-Member Waraas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its just them trying to sell more domains. If registering a domain for a long time really helps, than it would be very little. Not to mention that I dont even know how to test this for 5 years, during that time you will get a lot of different links and the domain would be aged, etc.

    I have always registered mine for 2 years though.

  3. #3
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Domain registration length affecting SEO is a myth. After all, what does it have to do with relevancy?

  4. #4
    SitePoint Guru Rebirth Studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what they had to say...
    One of the items in the Google algorithm patent states that they consider the term of the domain registration when ranking sites. It is definitely true that a domain that has been owned longer is more likely to be ranked higher than one that has not been.

    Also, many companies that do black hat SEO tactics and spam will only register the domains for a year. By looking at longer registration time-frames for higher ranking, they can weed out some of those folks.

  5. #5
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Google patented using domain age to rank pages but that doesn't mean they use it. They patent lots of stuff and you can be sure they don't use all of it. They do it to prevent their competition from being able to use it.

    As far as length of term indicating quality of a website, well, that's complete crap. Sure, spammers might only register for a year but many of them register for longer. And many, if not most, legitimate websites only register for a year.

    And it still comes back to relevance. How long someone registers a domain doesn't indicate how good a website is. Link popularity already does that anyway.

  6. #6
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Westerville
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'll catch alot of flak, but, I agree with this theory. I've played with it on my bikini sites. Also, I beleive domain age helps as well! I dropped rankings on a mid-competitive term, and was wondering why, hadn't changed a thing. Searched sitepoint for anything (algo changes, etc) to see if others experienced it, etc. I can honestly say that I have a strong beleif these items help SEO...

    1) Domain age.
    2) Domain registration length.(helped Yahoo mostly).
    3) Privacy Policy. (No help in Google, but a giant boost with Yahoo).
    4) ICRA. (No help in Google, giant boost in Yahoo).

    Now, understand that I make no financial benifit if people register domains longer, use ICRA, or even a privacy policy, but, I guarantee others will say these items dont matter. But, for my sites, they made a big difference, with most of the difference being Yahoo. So, if you dont beleive I am on page 2 of Google or Yahoo for a moderatly competitive keyword phrase(s), PM me. I'll prove it, and you can use the "Wayback Machine" to validate what I'm saying!

  7. #7
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Westerville
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost forgot....
    Whois data...
    Dont use private! When I updated Whois to show my real name,address,etc, I gained another big boost in Yahoo! Apparently, Yahoo wants to "trust" a sites content.
    1) Older domain. (SE assumes it wasn't a quick spam site that became banned, and moved on.

    2) Longer domain registration. (SE assumes its not a quick, thrown together spam site that doesn't expect to be around a year from now after it becomes banned).

    3) Privacy Policy. (Not sure, but I know for a fact that most of the top ranking Y! sites have one, so, I do too now, and it helped, big time!. Probably a "trust" thing?).

    4) ICRA. I think with my bikini pic sites, its a "trust" thing. Not sure here either. I did however notice most top sites on Y! had one. It did help immensly. (Or however its spelled)"...

  8. #8
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Westerville
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Link popularity already does that anyway"...

    Wrong. See how many links my PR2 has. Very few. Get plenty of traffic though. 90% SE. I'll be the 1st to say my most profitable website is my poorest looking/coded website. 90% of my traffic is SE. And I'll argue the fact as to how many PR (this) and how many PR(that) it takes to increase "your" PR. I have very few links to my PR2 bikini site, and I have decent traffic and income from 90% sE traffic. Another 10% comes from a PR5 "authority site".

    I could care less what PR I have. "Dont tell me about the labor pains, show me the baby"!

    I am also a firm beleiver that low PR sites can out-rank higher PR sites. (I currently am doing it now).

    I would rather have a PR 0 site with 10k visitors than a PR5 with 2k visitors...

    I guess I have responded to this thread, out of all the curiosity.. All the concearn..

    "How do I raise my PR"? questions. How do I make money on my site questions, how do I monetize my site questions, Folks, theres no real secret! Give people (internet users) what they want. Give the SE's what they want. It will work! It does take some time though, to build up SE "trust".

  9. #9
    Who is Mr Blonde? Mr Blonde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Posts
    359
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Stymiee as it dosn't make sense to rank a page highly just because its been around longer.

    A lot of people think it is true, however IMO its usually just because the longer the site's been up its had more time to gain natural backlinks and all their backlinks being spidered etc ,and as they have no control over this they attribute it to the age of the domain
    Heavens Rejects : Online Clothing Store
    Alternative Clothing : Mr Blonde
    Front end development : By the Webfella

  10. #10
    phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    3,626
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the opposite end, I have been working with some single word domains (worth thousands each) that were parked for several years, and immediately went into the sandbox when we put content on them. I would say it is no longer true. I would also say that domains that are left to rot (no content added for a long time) will also have plenty of problems.

  11. #11
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have heard a lot of people saying domain registration period matters, i don't think it matters as much, i am yet to see a well documented case regarding this. Older sites rank higher in SERP rankings because they've have had more time to establish themselves like other's have already said.

  12. #12
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    On the opposite end, I have been working with some single word domains (worth thousands each) that were parked for several years, and immediately went into the sandbox when we put content on them. I would say it is no longer true. I would also say that domains that are left to rot (no content added for a long time) will also have plenty of problems.
    Is that the same situation as a new domain, with content, that's been registered for 5 or 10 years?

    I bet domain age is a factor but only in conjunction with many other factors designed to identify sites that fit a spammy profile. I can't imagine that it would stop you getting sandboxed though whether you're legit or not.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  13. #13
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budhanes View Post
    I know I'll catch alot of flak, but, I agree with this theory. I've played with it on my bikini sites. Also, I beleive domain age helps as well! I dropped rankings on a mid-competitive term, and was wondering why, hadn't changed a thing. Searched sitepoint for anything (algo changes, etc) to see if others experienced it, etc. I can honestly say that I have a strong beleif these items help SEO...

    1) Domain age.
    2) Domain registration length.(helped Yahoo mostly).
    3) Privacy Policy. (No help in Google, but a giant boost with Yahoo).
    4) ICRA. (No help in Google, giant boost in Yahoo).

    Now, understand that I make no financial benifit if people register domains longer, use ICRA, or even a privacy policy, but, I guarantee others will say these items dont matter. But, for my sites, they made a big difference, with most of the difference being Yahoo. So, if you dont beleive I am on page 2 of Google or Yahoo for a moderatly competitive keyword phrase(s), PM me. I'll prove it, and you can use the "Wayback Machine" to validate what I'm saying!

    Almost forgot....
    Whois data...
    Dont use private! When I updated Whois to show my real name,address,etc, I gained another big boost in Yahoo! Apparently, Yahoo wants to "trust" a sites content.
    1) Older domain. (SE assumes it wasn't a quick spam site that became banned, and moved on.

    2) Longer domain registration. (SE assumes its not a quick, thrown together spam site that doesn't expect to be around a year from now after it becomes banned).

    3) Privacy Policy. (Not sure, but I know for a fact that most of the top ranking Y! sites have one, so, I do too now, and it helped, big time!. Probably a "trust" thing?).

    4) ICRA. I think with my bikini pic sites, its a "trust" thing. Not sure here either. I did however notice most top sites on Y! had one. It did help immensly. (Or however its spelled)"...
    You're probably mistaking many other factors for what you perceive as your domain registration being your savior. There are so many other factors, and constant fluctuation, affecting rankings that you can't even say with any certainty at all that is what happened. Moreso, Privacy policies don't affect rank. They're just another page on the Internet.

    Quote Originally Posted by budhanes View Post
    "Link popularity already does that anyway"...

    Wrong. See how many links my PR2 has. Very few.
    1) PR is based on link popularity. It's a mathematical formula that is published so there is no guessing as to why your page is a PR 2.

    2) Link popularity is more then just PR. The quality of links and their anchor text have a huge influence on your rankings. Ranking well for competitive terms requires quality links. Quality links are not easy to get and thus make for an effective way to determine what the community thinks is a quality resource. It's what Google is built upon.

    Quote Originally Posted by budhanes View Post
    Get plenty of traffic though. 90% SE. I'll be the 1st to say my most profitable website is my poorest looking/coded website. 90% of my traffic is SE. And I'll argue the fact as to how many PR (this) and how many PR(that) it takes to increase "your" PR. I have very few links to my PR2 bikini site, and I have decent traffic and income from 90% sE traffic. Another 10% comes from a PR5 "authority site".

    I could care less what PR I have. "Dont tell me about the labor pains, show me the baby"!

    I am also a firm beleiver that low PR sites can out-rank higher PR sites. (I currently am doing it now).

    I would rather have a PR 0 site with 10k visitors than a PR5 with 2k visitors...

    I guess I have responded to this thread, out of all the curiosity.. All the concearn..

    "How do I raise my PR"? questions. How do I make money on my site questions, how do I monetize my site questions, Folks, theres no real secret! Give people (internet users) what they want. Give the SE's what they want. It will work!
    Thank you for summarizing what we already said in this thread.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard both sides of this alot and see points on each side. I say why not register for longer than a year it cost very little and if it does help it is worth the money.

    Proof for either side not sure how to prove it google is the only one that knows for sure.

  15. #15
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budhanes View Post
    "Link popularity already does that anyway"...

    Wrong. See how many links my PR2 has. Very few. Get plenty of traffic though. 90% SE. I'll be the 1st to say my most profitable website is my poorest looking/coded website. 90% of my traffic is SE. And I'll argue the fact as to how many PR (this) and how many PR(that) it takes to increase "your" PR. I have very few links to my PR2 bikini site, and I have decent traffic and income from 90% sE traffic. Another 10% comes from a PR5 "authority site".

    I could care less what PR I have. "Dont tell me about the labor pains, show me the baby"!

    I am also a firm beleiver that low PR sites can out-rank higher PR sites. (I currently am doing it now).

    I would rather have a PR 0 site with 10k visitors than a PR5 with 2k visitors...

    I guess I have responded to this thread, out of all the curiosity.. All the concearn..

    "How do I raise my PR"? questions. How do I make money on my site questions, how do I monetize my site questions, Folks, theres no real secret! Give people (internet users) what they want. Give the SE's what they want. It will work! It does take some time though, to build up SE "trust".
    All I can say about this is Bravo!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  16. #16
    Non-Member Waraas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budhanes View Post
    Wrong. See how many links my PR2 has. Very few. Get plenty of traffic though. 90% SE. I'll be the 1st to say my most profitable website is my poorest looking/coded website. 90% of my traffic is SE. And I'll argue the fact as to how many PR (this) and how many PR(that) it takes to increase "your" PR. I have very few links to my PR2 bikini site, and I have decent traffic and income from 90% sE traffic. Another 10% comes from a PR5 "authority site".

    Becareful telling people about how much your sites make, especially since your site only has about 100 backlinks, and you say its your most profitable site?

    Just becareful man, it would only take a real seo expert an hour to get 100 backlinks. Just fyi.

  17. #17
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And who exactly is a "real" SEO.
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum

  18. #18
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    it would only take a real seo expert an hour to get 100 backlinks. Just fyi.
    You can't get 100 quality backlinks in an hour. Any "real" SEO expert knows that.

  19. #19
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No legitimate SEO company will ever use off-the-shelf multiple inclusion packages to submit the site. They might do so, but with a custom software solution to save time. So, no, you cannot get 100 useful back links in an hour. That's a ridiculous statement, no offense.
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum

  20. #20
    Non-Member Waraas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    You can't get 100 quality backlinks in an hour. Any "real" SEO expert knows that.

    If you have an seo empire you can. I have about 200 of these sites, so yes, it is possible to get 100 links in an hour.

    Do you guys know what an seo empire is, do I have to explain that also??

    I also have a blackhat network with about 150 or so websites, so I could get 150 backlinks in an hour that way aswell. But I dont use that for seo link building, just making the cash monies.

  21. #21
    SitePoint Guru Rebirth Studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you guys know what an seo empire is, do I have to explain that also??
    Yes, I believe you do, because I've never heard of that

    ...but please do it on your own thread instead of hijacking mine

  22. #22
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you can see it is up for debate, but domains are so cheap, why not just register it for 5 years for $50 or less and be done with it.

  23. #23
    Non-Member Waraas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth Studios View Post
    Yes, I believe you do, because I've never heard of that
    Here is a google search

    http://www.google.com/search?q=seo+e...ient=firefox-a

    You are right, lets get back on the subject.

    You also have to remeber that domains are text cuts, so that will help a little. I dont know if you need 5 years though :-s maybe 2 or 3.

  24. #24
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    If you have an seo empire you can. I have about 200 of these sites, so yes, it is possible to get 100 links in an hour.

    Do you guys know what an seo empire is, do I have to explain that also??

    I also have a blackhat network with about 150 or so websites, so I could get 150 backlinks in an hour that way aswell. But I dont use that for seo link building, just making the cash monies.
    You don't read very well. Those links aren't quality links. Anyone with half a brain can get 100 links in an hour. No one can get 100 quality links in an hour. Regardless if they are an seo fakerempire or not.

  25. #25
    Non-Member Icheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread really just made my day. I can't believe the amount of crap that gets written here.

    First there's this guy who thinks he can pinpoint the reason of his site's success to the domain registration period when there are so many factors that go into the ranking formula that you can't possibly know what changed. But I guess you held your hand over the server, so you must know.

    Then the same guy rants about PR when he doesn't have a clue about what it actually is and he wants to impress us with his wisdom that sites with low PR can outrank sites with high PR. OF COURSE THEY CAN, because PR is only a part of the entire formula. But please, keep your wisdom coming.

    Sometimes I think 99% of webmasters are too stupid to use their brain and think logically for a second. I guess that's also why there are so many threads that ask "can you make a living on the internet" and all that dip***t but apparently just asking is more convenient than thinking for a second.

    budhanes: Show me your "research" that led you to the "conclusion" that your domain registration length was the factor that really helped you. What did you do to eliminate all the other factors that go into the ranking algorithm so you could truly know which factor it was that helped you? Let me guess... you did nothing and just wanted to masquerade your inaptitude by showing off knowledge which you might as well have gotten by asking an 8-Ball.
    Last edited by Shyflower; Dec 29, 2007 at 05:17.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •