SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist bradical1379's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to use Google Adsense and Yahoo Publisher on same site

I have a fairly large forums community that I am trying to motenize using various affiliate programs. I currently use Google Adsense and have done fairly well with it, however, I would like to run Yahoo Publisher as well for a time to see which performs better. Per the rules Yahoo Publisher, their ads can not appear on the same pages as Google's.

I currently have Openads set up to hold the Google and Yahoo ads, but what is the best way to use this to ensure I do not violate their terms and display conflicting partner ads?

Thanks!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask them.

Maybe they will accept just one or the other in each page of your site???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoon32 View Post
    Ask them.

Maybe they will accept just one or the other in each page of your site???
    I am actually looking for the best way to implement the ads.

I have numerous ad zones on my site: header, footer, sidebar; so I want to make sure that each ad that is presented is either from Google or from Yahoo, not a combination of the two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Google and Yahoo don't come together! Never! You may get banned from both.
    One of the ways to use them is to set a global variable for ads that would take 0 or 1 based on time or day or whatever criteria. Based on this global variable either google or yahoo ads will be showing at certain day or at certain hour.
    Make sure to include select or if statements for each ad appearance on the site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem on one of my sites where CPM ads just didn't measure up to the CPC ads from Adsense and YPN. Its funny that lana77 posted what she did, because I paid someone to create a simple javascript that would generate a random number between 0 and 1, and use it as a variable to determine which ad was served. The variable would update itself every hour. You can get someone at scriptlance or getafreelancer to do it for $10-$15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supershark View Post
    I had the same problem on one of my sites where CPM ads just didn't measure up to the CPC ads from Adsense and YPN. Its funny that lana77 posted what she did, because I paid someone to create a simple javascript that would generate a random number between 0 and 1, and use it as a variable to determine which ad was served. The variable would update itself every hour. You can get someone at scriptlance or getafreelancer to do it for $10-$15.
    I attempted to do just that, only server side, and it didn't seem to work so great. Since I am using the vbulletin engine to power my site, there wasn't a great spot to add a variable that would carry over across the entire site, that had multiple ad zones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the ad placement, keep testing places and see which one has the best CTR.

Its againest YPN and adsense to have on the same page.

You should also use adsense for geo-targeting. YPN dosent support geotargeting, so your should have adsense displayed whenever someone from the US comes to your forums.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    You should also use adsense for geo-targeting. YPN dosent support geotargeting, so your should have adsense displayed whenever someone from the US comes to your forums.
    I think you mean that Adsense should be displayed to non-US visitors as YPN cannot be displayed to non-US visitors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah my bad. The other way around