SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Valuing a keyword position

I invite your views on this but after some brainstorming on this I think I have come up with two ways of valuing a keyword position:

1) An opportunity cost approach: You get x referrals for y keywords a month. So if the top bid in Google for that keyword is $1 and you get 10 referrals then that keyword y would be worth $10/month.

2) You measure it in terms of conversions or sales: If you get x referrals for keyword y a month and make z number of sales at price w.

10 referrals/month * 1 sale * $10 = $10 per month

3) possibly a combination of the two since the first bullet point puts a value on the opportunity cost of bringing prospects to your site whether the latter puts a value on the sales/profit generating potential of a given keyword.

There are a few underlying assumptions like perfect keyword and conversion/sales tracking. I.e. you can track exactly which keyword resulted in a sale. This is rather difficult to achieve in real life but as with most theories they are an oversimplified, parsimonious version of reality and this one is no different.
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 combined with Google analytics, you will be able to track exactly which keyword led to a sale.