SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

copyright question

This may be the wrong forum for this question - sorry if it is. I have a copyright question:

I co-own a web development company. The other co-owner and I came across a topic we disagree upon the other day. In developing a site for a client, I simply included &#copy - 2002 "their company" in the footer, as I usually do w/ any clients' sites. My colleague argued that we should include our company as the copyright owner, because the material on the website was created, and therefore owned, by us. I disagreed, stating that this was a small detail and that following his suggestion could end up being a source of un-needed dispute put forth by the company whose site we were developing.

What is the standard procedure in this matter? I'd rather simply include the company as the copyright owner, and it seems to make sense because, although we're developing their website, they still have ownership of the images, copy and other assets contained in the site. Is this a judgement call or is there a hard and fast rule as to what I should do?

Thanks in advance for responses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    web designers really only design. in most contracts, there is documentation that the copyright is to be transferred to the client after they pay for it. that's the way things work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, Web Designers really only design. In most contracts, there is documentation stating that the copyright is to be transferred to the client after the monetary dues have been payed. That is simply the way things generally work.

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol Aes, you goof

that's exactly what i said!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your wondering of what I actually use I use something like this on my copyright pages

Copyright Notice
    The information on this Web site is protected by copyright:
    Copyright 2002 Sam Colebatch. All Rights Reserved.
    Logo by Someone

Website Content

Except as explicitly stated otherwise elsewhere on this site, you may view, copy, and print documents available on this web site.
    You must contact me before and ask permission if you want to use any content or graphics from this website.
    If you do use any content or graphics you must provide a link to this website such as (original content by Sam Colebatch).
    You must also provide a link to this copyright notice.

The documents or graphics contents are not modified or altered in any way. Did I mention that this terms are subject to change without notice?

Downloadable Scripts or Programs

I may not be help responsable for any errors you might get in downloading scripts and or installing scripts or programs that are linked from my website.
    If you somehow do get errors or a script that has mucked up your computer and or server email me a polite letter
    and I will be happy to try and fix or find out your problem.

For any other inquiries about my website or any content on my website please dont hesitate to contact me via my contact page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    quite easy to find loopholes when you have spelling errors

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true I just quickly typed up the thing then to show him the sorta of copyright notice I use

just to give him and Idea and all

thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the others have said normally copyright would transfer to the client on final payment.

If your company wishes to retain copyright on any element of the design you should ensure this is written into the contract for the job.