SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some research of my own, and I found out that Google favors WP because Matt Mullenweg has the same first name as Matt Cutts. There's no other logical reason for Google to favor one CMS over another. The content, after-all, is what's relevant.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_dk View Post
    I did some research of my own, and I found out that Google favors WP because Matt Mullenweg has the same first name as Matt Cutts.
    That's the best logic I've seen yet.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c2uk View Post
    Again how is this unique? I can use Wordpress 2.3 in there just as well. Nobody could prevent me from doing this. So, no it's not unique, the fact is just nobody else does it because there is no added benefit to it.

You guys keep arguing that Google knows somehow that wordpress is in use and that whenever wordpress is in use, the site gets better rankings just based on the fact that wordpress is in use - if that was true, then tell me how Google knows that Wordpress is in use and why it's not possible to replicate this same behaviour.
    I think you have misunderstood my view. I agree with Stymiee and Dan and anyone else who believes that Google does not care what powers the backend.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To accurately test whether WordPress is good for SEO you need to create two sites with completely identical HTML - one created from WordPress and the other created some other way. You will need to create them at exactly the same time too just in case the timing affects the SEO in any way. There is absolutely nothing WordPress can do that cannot be done without using WordPress.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    To accurately test whether WordPress is good for SEO you need to create two sites with completely identical HTML - one created from WordPress and the other created some other way. You will need to create them at exactly the same time too just in case the timing affects the SEO in any way. There is absolutely nothing WordPress can do that cannot be done without using WordPress.
    If I did this than I would be pretty much making 2 wordpress sites? If its the same html on both sites?

Also, I think the wordpress site would outrank because it automatically pings, the other cms wouldn't... but thats my guess.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    If I did this than I would be pretty much making 2 wordpress sites? If its the same html on both sites?
    Yes but he thinks that it's simply using the name 'wordpress' in your metatags that gives you the benefit, or he thinks that's what is being suggested.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I think the wordpress site would outrank because it automatically pings, the other cms wouldn't... but thats my guess.
    Manually send a ping to pingomatic for the non-wordpress site.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Yes but he thinks that it's simply using the name 'wordpress' in your metatags that gives you the benefit, or he thinks that's what is being suggested.
    I do not think Stephen thinks this. I think he is saying that, that meta tag is the only thing identifying a site as a Wordpress site and that if removed from a theme, the site is going to rank just the same as it would had that tag been left in place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post
    Manually send a ping to pingomatic for the non-wordpress site.
    Why would I want to even make 2 wordpress sites anyways? I already told you guys that we arnt testing the meta thingy. We are testing to see if wordpress is better for seo.

I need to know what cms you guys want me to test against wordpress? If you want me to test a custom one than I cant do the manual pinging because its well... manual haha. The cms would have to do that.

Maybe the pinging is one thing google likes over the other cms? Hmmm...

Well anyways, please tell me what cms and keywords I should use. And for the 10th time we arnt testing the stupid meta thingy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would I want to even make 2 wordpress sites anyways?
    You said it, I didn't! See below

I need to know what cms you guys want me to test against wordpress? If you want me to test a custom one than I cant do the manual pinging because its well... manual haha. The cms would have to do that.
    I already recommended testing against Movable Type and you told me to test myself, if I wanted to know the results.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe the pinging is one thing google likes over the other cms? Hmmm...
    Pinging has nothing to do with SEO or a page's ranking. It just notifies a service of new content.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post
    I do not think Stephen thinks this. I think he is saying that, that meta tag is the only thing identifying a site as a Wordpress site and that if removed from a theme, the site is going to rank just the same as it would had that tag been left in place.
    Exactly. The only thing that identifies the HTML as having been made by WordPress is the meta tag that says it was made by Wordpress. Without that tag it may very well have been made by some other editor that just happens to have created identical HTML to what Wordpress did.

Comparing WordPress to other blog software such as MoveableType to see which produces more semantic HTML might be a worthwhile exercise but comparing the SEO efficiency of WordPress generated code is only really meaningful at all if comparing against other blog software.

I would actually expect a hand coded page that uses semantically correct HTML to rank higher for equivalent content than any script generated HTML possibly could but actual testing is just about impossible since without identical content the other factors in the ranking can't be quantified and with identical content one page will not get ranked at all.

Using WordPress is no better or worse for rankings than your fuzzy dice are for making your car more fuel efficient.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with him there, but Im talking about this:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    But Google doesn't love it over any other system though.
    And the tests will see if google does or doesn't like it over any other cms.

So now what cms do you want me to compare wp too? for the 4th time..
    And do you know why I said that? If not, let me clue you in. It's because all Google sees is the HTML code - not the PHP code or the MySQL database behind it.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    And do you know why I said that? If not, let me clue you in.
    Wow Dan, this patronising tone and sarcasm is consistent in your posts, do you talk to people like that in real life? My guess is that you don't.

Who is saying that wordpress HTML is different to any other blog type CMS? Has anyone actually done a comparison? I can't see why else wordpress would be more search engine friendly otherwise.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Dan, this patronising tone and sarcasm is consistent in your posts, do you talk to people like that in real life? My guess is that you don't.
    ??

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use wordpress as a rolling sitemap for my longtailed keywords within my blackhat network (tell me if im loosing you guys here )
    it's "losing", not "loosing"

SitePoint Enthusiast dvharrison's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That surprises me that Google prefers WordPress. What message does that give out about their very own Blogger?
    Debbie Harrison
    DVH Design
    Essex Web Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't prefer WordPress. WordPress is simply (somewhat) better out of the box (though it does have a lot of room for improvement).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only when I'm right about something and people refuse to listen. Especially when they have an agenda (that usually ends up being self-serving).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Dan, I used the wrong word. I should have used 'liked' not 'preferred'.

So are you saying that Google likes Wordpress for being better than the others or simply rubbishing the whole claim that Google likes Wordpress altogether?
    Debbie Harrison
    DVH Design
    Essex Web Design

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, it quite obvious why Google doesn't go out of their way to make Blogger better optimised than WordPress. It would be relatively easy for Google to perfect Blogger in terms of optimising for Googlebot. Doing so, however, would make all (or at least a lot of) sites switch to that exact structure, which is not in Google's interest.

I would imagine that those who develops Google's ranking algorithms and those who develop Blogger are under strict instructions by Google not to share their work with each other. For WordPress to rank higher than Blogger would then only require WordPress to be either better or luckier (assuming there is such a thing) in terms of SEO.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvharrison View Post
    Sorry Dan, I used the wrong word. I should have used 'liked' not 'preferred'.

So are you saying that Google likes Wordpress for being better than the others or simply rubbishing the whole claim that Google likes Wordpress altogether?
    It's ok. Besides, whether it was prefer, like, love, infatuation, it still wouldn't matter. Google just can't afford to play favorites here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a relief to hear.
    Debbie Harrison
    DVH Design
    Essex Web Design