Results 1 to 3 of 3
Dec 24, 2007, 23:37 #1
Sites About Different Topics: Separate Domains vs. One Domain
I would love to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of putting sites covering different topics (just for the sake of argument say TV, cars, sports, games) on different domains vs. putting all of them under a single domain.
- Better user experience because the design doesn't have to match everything.
- Only competes with sites in the same niche and won't go up against sites like AOL or Yahoo! which also cover "everything".
- Coming up with a domain name that is related to the topic is a lot easier.
- You can set up different companies for each site, meaning if someone wants to take down one site with a lawsuit they don't take down everything.
- Getting new sites to rank well and receive decent traffic is a lot harder.
- Promoting content is easier when you want to add new sections. People trust the quality of your content and are more likely to use the other sections as well.
- Getting new content ranked in search engines is a lot easier.
- Advertisers are more likely to choose a site with, say, 1 million visitors a month than one with 250k visitors, making direct ad sales easier.
- The site might have kind of a "sterile" feeling because the design has to match everything: TV, cars, sports, games.
- You have to find an appealing name that fits all topics and is easy to remember.
- Wouldn't it feel weird to the user if you have a site that only covers, say, TV and cars, regardless of the quality of the content?
- Competes with sites like AOL and Yahoo! which also cover TV, cars, sports and a lot more than that.
Dec 25, 2007, 23:34 #2
This is something new for me. Thank you for sharing information.Getting new sites to rank well and receive decent traffic is a lot harder.
Dec 26, 2007, 09:00 #3
- Join Date
- Dec 2007
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
Good points have been given here. I would like to add on the Pros for one domain is that your time is only alloted to that site and you could make all the needed optimization to make the website look good.