SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEO is the main aspect of advertising a website?is it true?

SEO is the main aspect of advertising a website?is it true?reviews plz

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For some sites, yes. For others, no. Just like for anything, it depends on the purpose of the website and the goals of the webmaster.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEO is a very good way of advertising if its used well. But it is not the main aspect in advertising. There are many ways of advertising depending on the product you are selling.

Just like in the offline business, companies some expensive ads through TV's and radio stations. While others just advertise through newspapers and banners.

The main aspect for marketing, I think, is targeting the right customers that will buy your product. Whatever advertisement you will do as long as the right customers are being targeted, you will have good sales.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree with talkalot that whatever gets you your targeted traffic (quality traffic) is the main aspect.

With some that would be SEO. Others it would be PPC. For most sites, I'd say a smart combination of SEO and PPC works most efficiently.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And also important is how you define SEO. I've found people's definitions vary widely.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    And also important is how you define SEO. I've found people's definitions vary widely.
    This is true. To me, SEO isnt advertising.

SEO is about going out there and making it easy for people to find you. If you had a store, then it'd be like putting a sign on the street with your name and nothing more. Advertising is about convincing or persuading people to come to you. That'd be like putting a banner on the road explaining all of your best products, and cheapest prices, and hoping you'd get customers.

SEO is important to help people discover you. It's a fairly important part if you think a good portion of your traffic will derive from search engines. Otherwise, it's not masses of use.
    --Spark911

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it depends, scoopyboy. Do you want just a few hundred hits a day, if it's even that? But that is, if you are lucky enough to get on page one. And, if, IF you are, most of the visitors will be window shoppers. And then you have the ones looking for free stuff.

But if you want to get enough hits to be able to quit your job, or, at the very least pay most of your bills, you are going to have to pay for ads, and, get word of mouth going.

There is no other way around it.

But it's not hard. The big sites did it. So can you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spark said a very good point about advertising as a whole. It is not just telling people about your products/services, it is how you attract them using those advertisements. But just like I said, if SEO is done the right way with the right advertisement, then you are in for a good sales.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is inpart true but not necessaraly. I have bad seo ranking for my site however its getting pretty good insize.
    ** NO LONGER AFFILIATED WITH GEEK **

SELLING rented.BIZ

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEO shines through mirrors (SE), good quality site glitters from itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, SEO is how your site will be more visible to the search engine as well as to your visitors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do advertising to promote your site to the public. SEO is a means to draw traffic from search engines. So there is a co-relation between advertising and SEO. But not exactly the main aspect IMO
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is good combination IMO, SEO+SMO+SEM.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't spend any time doing SEO for my ecommerce sites. I run an affiliate program where hundreds of people advertise for me, I place search advertising myself, and I get as many orders as I can handle processing. I've managed good rankings on a few keywords without trying, and the conversion rate from those clicks is so low I don't really see the purpose of investing the time for more of the same. People clicking ads are ready to spend money -- those are the people I want.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that is a really big point-SEO really isn't advertising at all in my book. It's just a way to make you easy to find if people are searching for sites such as yours.

But advertising is specific to your business or site, it is putting your address out there not just some terms that you hope people will search for.

SitePoint Enthusiast Mike Newton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that good basic page SEO is just common sense. It does assist with search engines, spiders, organic traffic etc.

It can assist with advertising by way of ranking/relevancy e.g. quality content, keywords placed appropriately on the pages. That does not mean using 'keyword stuffing' which the robots don't like.

I also agree with Dan's post. If you follow that model, have a lot of affiliates, PPC etc. It's a lot quicker and may not be necessary to spend a lot of time on SEO apart from the basic. I have used both methods individually/combined successfully, depending on my requirements at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fundamental SEO is essential and is only a good thing. As long as you're not spending too much time or money on it then what's to lose? Getting indexed in search engines is an excellent thing. However, as was mentioned above, it may not be all that important to your site. use relevant tools such as Overture's keyword analyzer to determine whether people are searching for your topic/product and decide how important it is. You may need to focus on driving traffic through other sources.
    NumaNuma.com - Show us your funny side.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forumGuru View Post
    use relevant tools such as Overture's keyword analyzer to determine whether people are searching for your topic/product and decide how important it is.
    FYI, that particular tool hasn't worked in about a year.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEO to be is like using high-quality tools to create a product you're trying to sell. Even though this product has been made well and stands out above some others it won't sell itself without you getting the word out. It's a lot harder to sell a poor product than a product that will do what customers want, and that's what you need to consider.

Nowadays I'd say advertising a website is like advertising an offline product more than ever. Before some word-of-mouth and a good spell on Google would get you everything, but now content and functionality are king, and you need to play the game so much more to compete. As the Internet becomes more ubiquitous with our lives we need to make websites a genuinely choice for users over something they'll come across and put up with.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do have to compete more than ever before because there are more and more people out there trying to do this. But on the other hand more and more people get an internet connection for the first time every day, and so I think that the potential market is there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    Exactly to me SEO is not only choosing the right keywords and writing useful content about the main keyword, but also getting the right semantic structure to the page and setting up the design of the site so the pages have the right relationship to each other and the most important pages are indicated within the navigation.

SitePoint Member christieargyle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an SEO business and ALL my clients have other PR efforts underway in conjunction with using us, so even as an SEO person myself, I have to say that SEO is not everything for website traffic.