SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at least this forum post has made sure you are linked to from the first item in a Google search for "soofra" ... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...tF7NpuEw5wANRA

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It occurs in the URL of the page which is technically part of the content (from an SEO point of view). If the word wasn't in the URL at all then it be different.
    Instead of giving me a reason why what i said is wrong, you keep repeating the same statement, even after i gave you a solid reason why it is not so. I mean no disrespect, in fact i would consider myself done well if i could ever be as knowledgeable and established as you are, but still this is kinda childish behaviour.

In which case also, this thread seems to have done more harm than good to him/her.
    Care to explain this statement. Everybody told him that his site doesn't even contain the term he wants his site to rank #1 in google SERPs and told him to get more backlinks with the same word as anchor text. How can this thing harm his site?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because this thread is now No. 1 in the search results for soofra, while his/her page still isn't anywhere, plus the keyword soofra appears now so often on here, that it's even more difficult to beat. By the way it's more than just backlinks as this thread has also established it's also about content, and in terms of content soofra doesn't appear once on the site except in the URL.

Maybe s/he's lucky since soofra seems to be not a very competitive keyword in which case it's easier to get at least on page 1 of the search results with a little effort, such as putting soofra in the page's title:

Code HTML4Strict:
    <head>
    <title>... - soofra</title>
    </head>

@Ryan, not sure what you mean but I don't see a link to the site from within this thread.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c2uk View Post
    Because this thread is now No. 1 in the search results for soofra, while his/her page still isn't anywhere, plus the keyword soofra appears now so often on here, that it's even more difficult to beat. By the way it's more than just backlinks as this thread has also established it's also about content, and in terms of content soofra doesn't appear once on the site except in the URL.

Maybe s/he's lucky since soofra seems to be not a very competitive keyword in which case it's easier to get at least on page 1 of the search results with a little effort, such as putting soofra in the page's title:

Code HTML4Strict:
    <head>
    <title>... - soofra</title>
    </head>

@Ryan, not sure what you mean but I don't see a link to the site from within this thread.
    Oh, in that way, i thought you meant that somehow the advice given in this thread would harm his site instead of doing good if chose to follow them. I wouldn't be worried about this thread ranking no. 1 for the term soofra, like i said earlier a link to his side in his signature link with the term soofra would be more than enough to make his site rank #1 for that term.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    Well at least this forum post has made sure you are linked to from the first item in a Google search for "soofra" ... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...tF7NpuEw5wANRA
    I had already said that 3 posts earlier but hey, it's Christmas so we'll forgive you

Off Topic:

I notice that you have a hockey site, cool. I used to play till ME stopped me but I'm still mad about hockey. I didn't know you guys even played it in NZ, didn't think there were many icerinks down there. Looks like you have the same problems we have in the UK getting ice time
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see why other pages seem more relevant for soofra, but if that's all that's behind why s/he's No.1 for soofra.com, than that's all I wanted to know. In this case then it seems, url beats every other SEO technique but content is still king when it comes to actual keywords. In which case also, this thread seems to have done more harm than good to him/her.
    I'm not sure what it is you don't understand about this, or am I missing something?

He ranks No1 for 'soofra.com' because no one else on the planet is using that as a keyword combination, it's unique to him so he gets No.1 if you search for it, it's actually in his URL, it IS his URL.

If he did what you suggest later in the thread and optimised his page a bit for the term 'soofra' he might be able to rank better, there's less than 2000 returned pages so it should be pretty easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one is using soofra.com as a keyword combination? There are sites that use soofra.com in their page title, sites having soofra.com within their content, just search for soofra.com, heck even in this thread soofra.com appears now quite often, so it's not unique to his/her site. How you don't consider these to be keywords is really beyond me and I'd like to get a better explanation from you what I'm missing here.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad, I assumed someone must have linked to soofra.com somewhere in this topic, but apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    I had already said that 3 posts earlier but hey, it's Christmas so we'll forgive you
    No you didn't. Perhaps you misunderstood my post?

Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Off Topic:

I notice that you have a hockey site, cool. I used to play till ME stopped me but I'm still mad about hockey. I didn't know you guys even played it in NZ, didn't think there were many icerinks down there. Looks like you have the same problems we have in the UK getting ice time
    Off Topic:

Yep, there's definitely hockey on around these parts. I'm hopefully going to get the chance to play some inline hockey in the UK next year. I'm heading over for a working holiday and a friend of mine is hoping to wrangle me into a team for a game while I'm there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No you didn't. Perhaps you misunderstood my post?
    Now I re-read it I can see that you were saying something else, my bad.

Off Topic:

Yep, there's definitely hockey on around these parts. I'm hopefully going to get the chance to play some inline hockey in the UK next year. I'm heading over for a working holiday and a friend of mine is hoping to wrangle me into a team for a game while I'm there.
    Off Topic:

I tried inline hockey, I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much. For starters it's non-contact which as a Dman removed a lot of my options and because you can't stop on inline skates that way you can on ice you have to think ahead more to make sure you don't run into a brick wall (or the plexi if you're lucky enough to have a proper rink). Slower, much less physical, more chance of injuring yourself .... I didn't like it much. I didn't realise how much I rely on my skating before I played inline hockey.

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed the inline boys having a go at ice hockey. Talk about sitting ducks, they're so used to dipsy doodling around Dmen who aren't allowed to make contact with them that they're not expecting to get hit... big mistake...