SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backlink Penalty

It would seem that there has been a Backlink over optimization penalty placed on one of the pages on my site, which is my own fault really.

Wanting to achieve the top rank for a certain keyword I linked to my page from various social bookmarking sites, (about 20 in one day) and it was only in retrospect that I could see the error of my ways.

The thing is that it only seems to be the one page which has been penalized, as far as I can see all the others are remaining as they were.

Does anyone know whether this penalty will spread through the rest of my site link a terminal cancer or whether it will just sit there and slowly fade like a strong odor in a still room?

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose we can't be sure this is a penalty. If you continue building a quality site and attract higher quality links in the future, you should be fine in the long run.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I doubt there is a penalty. If there was anyone could use this to sink their competitors. The links may no have no value for one reason or another and that can prevent the page from doing well (amongst other reasons).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the social bookmarking sites use no follow links.

But in any case bookmarking is good for traffic.
    Los Angeles Tips and Suggestions InvisibleLA.com
    UrWar - It's your War!
    Nicole Richie

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think it is a penalty but i do see pages move around in and out of serps when new and alot of links are added.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies people, as it turned out it was simply Google playing around with my pages.

The page in question completely dropped off Google for a few days to the extent that it wouldn't even come up if I searched direct quotations from the page, and then just as suddenly it reappeared exactly where it had been for the several keywords it ranks for.

A little bit strange but at least the page is back up and earning.