SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    JeffWalden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post What is My SEO Vendor Doing?

    I handle the web-design for my client and we work with another vendor to take care of the SEO. Generally the three of us work very well together, but just recently I've come across something that makes me suspicious.

    I was running a backwards link report and found some completely unrelated websites that are linking to my clients website:

    http://www.reynoldsfarmequipment.com...6x4_gator.html
    http://www.thesilverfoxclub.com/gift...ts-for-him.htm

    You'll see my client, ReServe Interactive, listed under the link "Catering Software" at the bottom of the pages. My client's website is about software and has nothing in common with either of these two sites. Additionally, these two sites don't have anything in common with each other.

    The only reason I believe this is the work of my SEO vendor is because also included in this list of links is another client of mine who also happens to outsource SEO to him. If this type of pratice will have positive results for my clients, then assuming these links are authorized I have no problem with it. However, my limited understanding of best practice SEO techniques have always instructed me that these types of link exchanges were harmful to honest rankings.

    Has anyone else here ever done something like this? Was the result positive in helping the rankings for your website?

    Thanks for your help!
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire - UK
    Posts
    2,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It certainly won't hurt the rankings of ReServe Interactive in the slightest otherwise competitors could quite easily do the same but I'm not sure those two particular examples will have all that much benefit.

    They're on pages with unrelated content and in a list of links which certainly look like they're all bought and for PR reasons only so I suspect that Google will penalize the site(s) that they're appearing on if it hasn't already so the benefits are probably next to nothing.

    Personally, if I was paying someone for SEO then I'd expect some kind of report or at least results from their effort which hopefully you're getting. If you're seeing improvements in the search engines then this may be down to their efforts of obtaining backlinks but those two particular examples are unlikely to be helping much.

    Also does this person deal with onpage optimization as he should be suggesting a few things that you could definitely improve on the site itself

    Hope that helps.

  3. #3
    Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    JeffWalden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help. It's good to know that it won't hurt. I guess I never really thought of the fact that if it did competitors could simply do the same thing - makes sense though.

    He does some onpage optomization but I'm not really convinced that we're getting what we should for the fees. Hence why I am now running reports to check up on things.

    He talks a lot about keyword density, meta data and validated code, but doesn't go much beyond that. Are there some pretty basic changes we could make that could have a significant effect on rankings?
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire - UK
    Posts
    2,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good overview is the FAQ as this pretty much covers everything

    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182915

  5. #5
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolik View Post
    Thanks for your help. It's good to know that it won't hurt. I guess I never really thought of the fact that if it did competitors could simply do the same thing - makes sense though.

    He does some onpage optomization but I'm not really convinced that we're getting what we should for the fees. Hence why I am now running reports to check up on things.

    CSSwiz is right, only the site with those links on will be hurt unless of course you have reciprocal links with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolik View Post
    He talks a lot about keyword density, meta data and validated code, but doesn't go much beyond that. Are there some pretty basic changes we could make that could have a significant effect on rankings?
    Validated code is good but I wouldn't mention those other two phrases........ having said that, meta data is not the same thing as meta tags, you sure that's the phrase he used?

    Dayum, I want to tell you to concentrate on providing good content and a well constructed and useful site.... that IS good SEO
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  6. #6
    Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    JeffWalden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    CSSwiz is right, only the site with those links on will be hurt unless of course you have reciprocal links with them.
    So if he is putting this list of links on multiple sites but not on mine, it still won't hurt me - right? It would truly only count as a reciprocal link if MY site had a link back?
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

  7. #7
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shoudln't hurt, but it won't help you either. Frankly, I'd tell the SEO to step away from the keyboard and get a McJob, and leave the on-site optimization to the Web copywriter and developer.

  8. #8
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If your SEO is putting your client's links on unrelated sites he flat out doesn't know his business.
    Earlier it was mentioned that META Data and META tags are different things. Well they are.. So it appears the SEO can't even talk the talk much less walk the walk.
    All said, what are your client's results in the SERPs? Is he/she getting more traffic since the SEO started his version of SEO? Are you getting more return visitors and better conversion? Those are the real things that matter. Check your stats and if they aren't showing some real improvement, advise your client to get a new SEO.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  9. #9
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would make sure he is not putting links on the 2 sites that are not related. Looks like he links all sites he works on sometime or another to try to get links up for each site.

  10. #10
    SitePoint Enthusiast jhnrang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of-late lots of things are going on with Google and its SERPs bots. Google has been punishing all sites/blogs/directories that just dole out indiscriminate links.

    If I were you- I would assume that - it would harm more than benefit the site. Besides hasn't Google waging a sustained WAR against reciprocal & paid links?
    Hundreds of sites/blogs/directories have already been penalized and more are coming under the scanner.

    So I would immediately ask the SEO to delete all those unrelated links and ask the webmasters of those sites to do the same. These days of Google paranoia about paid & reciprocal links-- fewer links from trusted and related sites can do a world of good than hundreds of links from low quality and unrelated sites.

    On-page SEO 9 pages title and relevant contents) is now getting more weightage than Anchor Word optimization of links from high PR pages/sites.

    Just my opinion.
    Last edited by jhnrang; Dec 22, 2007 at 09:07. Reason: grammer check

  11. #11
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire - UK
    Posts
    2,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnrang View Post
    Of-late lots of things are going on with Google and its SERPs bots. Google has been punishing all sites/blogs/directories that just dole out indiscriminate links.
    Correct. They've been punishing sites that have been selling links.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhnrang View Post
    If I were you- I would assume that - it would harm more than benefit the site. Besides hasn't Google waging a sustained WAR against reciprocal & paid links?
    Hundreds of sites/blogs/directories have already been penalized and more are coming under the scanner.
    It won't harm the site that these links are going to in the slightest. If that were the case and I were your competitor then I'd pay loads of link farms to include links to your site and you'd be punished for it. Which would hardly be fair and therefore we can say this definitely isn't true.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhnrang View Post
    So I would immediately ask the SEO to delete all those unrelated links and ask the webmasters of those sites to do the same. These days of Google paranoia about paid & reciprocal links-- fewer links from trusted and related sites can do a world of good than hundreds of links from low quality and unrelated sites.
    No need. The links may not be doing anything good but they definitely won't be harming rankings either. Paying for links like this may have no benefit even for PR and is unlikely to help rankings for the keyphrases/keywords much unless they're on related sites.

    It's not something I'd worry about though and the issue of what the original poster's search engine optimizer is doing for their money is the only concern


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •