SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to make this CPU better at gaming?

Hi guys, I have to buy my younger brother a christmas present, he wants games for a present but unfortunately he also lamented that he cant really play any good games cause his computer is so slow

I'm kind of thinking it'd be a nice idea to give him a smallish upgrade to his computer so that his games run half-decently ... any thoughts if this is possible for betwee $50-$100? I am pretty good at installing just about anything on computers and am looking for something that gives him a noticeable improvement to his gameplay.

His current system is:
    2.22 GHz Celeron PC with 768 MB of ram. His gphx card is a GeForce FX 5500.

My thoughts are that more ram would significantly improve Gameplay ... am I off-base here?

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only know what my son tells me about games and he's a gaming god but I'm the hardware god and a Celeron isn't going to do anything for him. The only hope for you, Obewon, is to overclock the motherboard if that's even possible.

I would just tell him to save his money for "last" generations cpu and motherboard because they will be coming down like everything does. However, if he wants to run the brand newest games coming out now, he may still be suffering.

A gamers life is filled with thrills and disappointments and lack of money.

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post

A gamers life is filled with thrills and disappointments and lack of money.
    you said it
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I game, more RAM is the best bang for the buck. See if you can get him to the 2gig mark.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RAM would help, but a new video card would be the best buy.

Reasoning: game graphics run almost exclusively on the video card and are the most resource demanding part of a game, ergo: a (nearly) four year old card will not do well with a current game.

Even Unreal Tournament 3 requires a better card than a 5500, and they (Epic Games) try their best to not exclude anyone.

If he has a PCI-E slot, tell him to go for a nVidia GeForce 8600 with 512 RAM. (I'm thinking, no slot, due to the potential craptasicness of a system built around a celeron)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Celeron just lacks a descent amount of on board cache to even run games effectively. I'm not sure if a new graphic card would help that much as the CPU still might bottleneck the whole pipeline. Ideally you should upgrade that CPU to a Core 2 Duo model if your motherboard supports it. Otherwise the Pentium D's are dual core models which aren't bad if you can get your hands on one. Something like this should work.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ben, maybe I'm missing something here, but how is he going to put an LGA775 chip into a socket 478 board?

Back to OT: the first step would be to determine what slots and/sockets the mainboard has and then determine what is available in your price range for those interfaces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More ram, or a new video card.
    digitalriot | Graphik Extraordinaire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a new graphics card.

Current graphics cards outperform the card he has by an order of magnitude ie I wouldn't be surprised if a decent graphics card nowadays like a Geforce 8800GT could outperform his by 20x or more in real terms.

The Celeron 2.2GHz is kinda average; you could upgrade his CPU and get more performance in CPU-heavy games such as real time strategy, or new games with heaps of physics (you know the ones).

The RAM should be sufficient. If he had any less I'd suggest boosting it, but 768Mb is decent. If you are multitasking a lot I'd increase it to 1 or 2 gigs, but running a game shouldn't need as much.

If the current board is an AGP board instead of a PCI Express board, then he'll probably want to get a new motherboard, which will probably mean getting a new CPU, RAM, and graphics card as well. It's a huge pain in the neck, and I did it recently. Staying with an AGP board will limit his ability to get a decent graphics card, though there are still some decent options such as a 7900GS. It may be a waste of money though if he wants to upgrade his motherboard soon.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upgrade video card and RAM perfect for gaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get a new video card. like, 8x AGP nvidia 6800GT

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tnrstudios View Post
    Hi guys, I have to buy my younger brother a christmas present, he wants games for a present but unfortunately he also lamented that he cant really play any good games cause his computer is so slow

I'm kind of thinking it'd be a nice idea to give him a smallish upgrade to his computer so that his games run half-decently ... any thoughts if this is possible for betwee $50-$100? I am pretty good at installing just about anything on computers and am looking for something that gives him a noticeable improvement to his gameplay.

His current system is:
    2.22 GHz Celeron PC with 768 MB of ram. His gphx card is a GeForce FX 5500.

My thoughts are that more ram would significantly improve Gameplay ... am I off-base here?
    Look celeron is a bit outdated and doesn't support quality gaming.Upgrading your Ram is the only option and you too feel the same,so go for it.I could have said purchase this or that,but it wouldn't have made much difference,the reason being at $50 -$100 there isn't any significant gaming or video card that is good.I did a Google for upgrading a PC for Gaming and here is the first result.Now you say????
    RockAway Technology
    www.rtginc.net