SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Useless Links?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Useless Links?

I followed a member's signature link here called Useless Link Detector, which advocates that navigation, footer, and paid links which don't have context are discounted by Google. What is the scoop here, I have never heard this?

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speculation passed off as fact.

Some of my pages have only internal links to them from my navigation, yet they are indexed and rank. For this reason I doubt that navigation links are discounted. Also there are plenty of examples of consecutive words used as separate links in content - they aren't navigation yet their software would label them wrongly as navigation links.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth Studios View Post
    I followed a member's signature link here called Useless Link Detector, which advocates that navigation, footer, and paid links which don't have context are discounted by Google. What is the scoop here, I have never heard this?

Thanks
    I think you missed the point slightly.

Navigation and footer links are fine and will be counted by Google if they're internal.

What the useless link detector is trying to get across is that there's no point having a list of links which go to external sites as these are likely to get discredited by Google and therefore if they're being used for PR or keyphrases then they're worthless.

It kind of makes sense that if there's a number of links all going to external websites that have no relavance to the content then they probably shouldn't be counted.

Whether this is fact or speculation is anyone's guess but for the users benefit you shouldn't really supply links anyway which aren't going to be useful to your users so whether the technicalities of the advice are right or wrong, I do think that it's good advice nevertheless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    I think you missed the point slightly.

Navigation and footer links are fine and will be counted by Google if they're internal.
    Roger, at first listen I thought I heard something different.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with hooperman, this is just speculation not a fact. IMO they do have value probably not as much as contextual or in text links, but they still have value.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But how does it actually work?