SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FirstnameLastname.org or LastnameFirstname.com?

I am about to create a unique content site about a person, and have a choice of registering either FirstnameLastname.org or LastnameFirstname.com. Content pages will be optimized for Firstname Lastname phrase.

By far the most common search phrase in Google that people type in according to Adsense Tool is 'Fistname Lastname'.

.com would of course have the most authority in eyes of visitors, but I am worried that LastnameFirstname is a confusing format.

Then if I think of search engine ranking boost from the domain name, assuming that all potential visitors search for 'Fistname Lastname', does it make much difference if the order of first and last name is switched?

On to the question. Which domain name format would you recommend me for a balance of visitor recognition/branding, and search engine value?
    Rakeback.com - Online poker rakeback deals

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not get both and redirect one to the other?

EDIT: I think for me, where there's a name involved I would go with firstnamelastname.org because I think it sounds better and have lastnamefirstname.org redirect to it. Having the both domains would help protect your brand too.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LastnameFirstname would look weird to the user so go with FirstnameLastname or do what Hooperman suggests.

There may be an SEO benefit to hosting your site in the same country as the TLD for the URL so don't necessarily go for a .com TLD.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use the FirstnameLastname.org. That's how most people will search for it (first name first).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, go for firstnamelastname.com it will be batter in visibility and there will be more searches on firstnamelastname..
    Website Design Company | IT Outsourcing Blog
    Contact us to outsource your projects