SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What display to buy to test website pages?

I need to get a new LCD display. I need advice on what the spec. of this display should be to test webpage viewing for different sceen sizes, etc. I would prefer 15inch or 38cm (thereabouts) unit because of the small space I've got. I would also need to check sound and obviously videos.
    I have noticed some of my web pages on those large square screens seem to get "stretched" upwards.

Can anyone advise? UK purchase for the unit.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you testing? If you are simply testing to ensure that a web page works under various browsers, then you can do this on any screen.

If graphics quality is important, then read this LCD buying guide and pay attention to the 'photo editing/web design' sections (and NOT the gaming sections):
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

I got a Samsung 970p monitor which has good quality and it used to be on the recommended list I linked to but isn't anymore (because technology has moved forward).

You may find it hard to get anything smaller than 17 inch, and if you do it probably won't be very good quality as they might be aimed at point of sale terminals or the like. So I would recommend 17 or 19 inches as a minimum if you need quality.

If your pages are getting stretched vertically it may be because you are viewing 4:3 resolutions (such as 800x600, 1024x768 or 1152x864) on a 5:4 monitor (such as 1280x1024). This is unavoidable in most situations, and you should keep in mind that this is simply a result of running the monitor at an incorrect resolution. Most 5:4 monitors simply stretch it to fill the screen even though it is a different shape. There is nothing that can be done to detect or correct this when designing a web page; when someone has their monitor set to the incorrect resolution everything they see, not just web pages, will be stretched.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mmj, at least I know the reason. It seems strange that a display will stretch something and not consider the consequent distortion! I changed such a display to 1024 x 768 in windows but it still filled the screen so I assume this was ignored. Your link is a bit obscure and I did not find the article but nevertheless I am now going for a 17" display.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barleytwist View Post
    Thanks mmj, at least I know the reason. It seems strange that a display will stretch something and not consider the consequent distortion!
    I think the monitor manufacturers believe people are more likely to complain about black bars at the top and bottom of the screen than notice the stretching. Anyhow, if you have an nVidia card, you can change this, by forcing the graphics drivers to do the scaling. It's in the nVidia Control Panel under 'Change flat panel scaling'.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using widescreen accer LCD 19''.
    Its cheap and I think you should consider buying it because, you can test web pages easily as it has a max resolution of 1400 x 900 and that it is wide screen