SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast Eric Engel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BlueMoon...the way you seem to understand it, Google just flips a coin to decide who gets first in line. I can assure you that nothing is further from the truth. SEO is hard work. The reason many people fail at it is because they don't have the know-how, or because they give up when they realize how difficult it is (often claiming that it's a simple matter of luck).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flips a coin? Of course not. Is it hard work? Again, of course not. It isn't rocket science, either.

If some people don't have the sense to realize that not everyone who knows about SEO can fit on page one, or, two, even, I don't know what else to say. I guess they think that they are the only ones in the entire Interent world who knows enough to land on those pages, and that it isn't luck, supreme luck with some, that they did land there.

Is it arrogance, or ignorance? Maybe both? I don't know. One thing is for sure, though, we derailed purplefdu's thread, and I think he would appreciate us getting back to his original question, so he can get more advice than what I and the others have already offered him.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on, man, do you honstly think that you and the ones who are on page one and two are the ONLY ones in the entire Internet world who know how to do SEO like that???
    If some people don't have the sense to realize that not everyone who knows about SEO can fit on page one, or, two, even, I don't know what else to say
    That's not the point....

I don't care if you're omnipotent and know everything about the universe, if you've got weak incoming links, you're not going to rank well. If you're not ranking well, your link network isn't as strong as you think it is, or other sites' link networks are stronger.

Knowing doesn't mean you're doing.....

Come on, bud, think. You were lucky. That's all there was to it.
    Tbh, this is where I'm going to drop this discussion as it's borderline insulting to my intelligence and experience as a webmaster. I guess by luck you mean applying common sense practices and getting results? It would be nice if that's how luck actually worked...

If it's luck, please then explain to me why I can consistently get myself near or at the top of google for NEW pages I just built from scratch, using the same techniques that put the other pages at the top? I'm clearly doing something right, and I'm getting similar results from similar process. That's virtually the opposite of luck.

Whether you choose to believe this or not, Google's algorithm is based on math. It has to be by the nature of programming languages. Therefore logically speaking, it CAN'T be luck While it may be complex, it's boils down to being nothing more than a mathematical equation (input -> function -> output), not luck....

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ugh.

I knew I should have put my replies in BIG bold letters.

It simply amazes me people actually thinks like this.

Ok, let's just agree to disagree.

Back to the subject of the thread now...

I get a half dozen or so visitors a day right now. Most leave me spam comments and thus are useless. I have submitted my blog to directories, and I am working on submitting to more. I don't know a thing about SEO and it looks rather complicated, but I'm willing to try if I must. Are there any other ways to increase traffic thats not looking to just leave spam?