SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All else equal, PR has an effect?

Imagine a condition where all else is equal for two sites, except for their PR. Assume that their relevance to a query is the same in Google's eyes. The first site is not a duplicate of the second. They have no anchor weight for that particular keyword (Just imagine the higher PR site has a PR 9 one way backlink from an UNRELATED site, and the anchor used is the name of the site, which is not related to the keyword)

Is it safe to say that the one with higher PR will rank higher?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If everything else was equal then yes. In reality though this will probably never happen.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, my site's homepage has a PR1 and I outrank most of my competitors who have PRs of 3 and 4.

My site has been live for two years and all I've managed to get is a PR1! Meanwhile, my blog has been live for only 7 months and has a PR3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    Interestingly, my site's homepage has a PR1 and I outrank most of my competitors who have PRs of 3 and 4.

My site has been live for two years and all I've managed to get is a PR1! Meanwhile, my blog has been live for only 7 months and has a PR3.
    That's because in the real world PR doesn't mean a lot. Maybe your on page factors mean you rank higher for a particular phrase, maybe that PR1 has been earnt by sites pointing to yours using a particular keyphrase?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    csswiz is right. I have a PR3 opensource portal wih a huge database and a stupid little 2004 PR1 article outranks me (and conseuently angers me a lot).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cifra View Post
    csswiz is right. I have a PR3 opensource portal wih a huge database and a stupid little 2004 PR1 article outranks me (and conseuently angers me a lot).
    For what word(s)? If you want to rank well for this word, do you use it within your url, within you <title> and within your <h>eading's?

Do you also ensure that internal links on your site point to your page on this subject using this keyword/phrase within the <a>nchor text?

The final stage is getting backlinks to your site from other top quality sites on the same subject... which will hopefully come naturally through time if you provide good useful content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...

It's in my language, Slovenian, and the slovenian word for opensource,whuch I am trying to rank well for is 'odprta koda'.

Now I own the domains odprtakoda.org, .com and odprta-koda.org
    The keyword is also in my title, and I have got a lot of backlinks from related sites, which I am still building, of course.

But it's weird, really. If you do a search at Google I rank 1st, but for my main targets, Slovenian searchers, it ranks third... I ranked 1st just for two weeks after i bought the odprta-koda.com domain

So the sites that outrank me (I'm 3rd), are:
    this stupid article:
    and a blog ehich is hosted on a WP multiuser setup:
    http://odprtakoda.blog.siol.net/
    http://e-izdaja.comtron.si/Izdaja4/OdprtaKoda.htm

and my site is:
    http://www.odprtakoda.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't have thought it would be too hard for you to rank higher than them but you'd also have to consider incoming links to their site with Odprta Koda as anchor text as being a factor.

I'd certainly look at mentioning the keyphrase a few more times on the page and specifically make use of the h1 tag at the top of your page as well as using h2 tags to define sections with the keyword in a few instances.

You may also want to consider the structure of the site as a whole, do you have links coming back to this page from other pages in your site? If you do, do they contain your keyphrase as this will help Google understand what the page is about.

Obviously these are just a few suggestions for the search engines but are also things that should improve the usability of your site as all this advice should make it clearer to your users what each section is for and where links will take them.

Hope that helps anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really already working on everything you said, but thanks for reminding me aout the h1 tag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm beginning to wonder if PR means anything at all except to SEO geeks!
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    Arthur C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_D View Post
    Good point Still, it's pretty weird, as Google was founded on Pagerank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has it's uses but is usually wrongly understood by people who think they know about SEO.

A PR9 site holds an advantage over a lower PR site as it has potential but unless this potential is maximized through optimization of keywords/phrases then the PR is meaningless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Therefore all these people looking for high PR sites to buy etc are kind of looking the wrong way?
    Arthur C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Therefore all these people looking for high PR sites to buy etc are kind of looking the wrong way?
    If it's purely for the PR then yes.

Personally, I've never bought links. I may pay for advertising space within my niche which will in turn alert visitors to my site and assuming it has good content, may encourage other webmasters to link to this as it may be useful for their visitors. As a result this will increase PR and also encourage high quality links from related sites.

But, buying links purely for PR isn't worth it in my opinion especially considering the site the links will be placed on, could be penalized for selling links at any time which will render these links worthless from a PR perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, it's content, content, content...

And niche
    Arthur C. Clarke

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see some sites with low rank listed higher in Serp than high rnaking sites. Content is one of the best things you can have on site besides correct Seo