User Tag List

Thread: What's your IQ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your IQ?

Sometimes at work, I feel like one of the smartest people in the office. Then I come to Sitepoint and I'm humbled.

So I was wondering what are some of the IQ's here? Is Sitepoint is full of some of the most intelligent people on the planet, or do I just work with a bunch of dummies?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the same as room temperature. In degrees Celsius.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    About the same as room temperature. In degrees Celsius.
    Great, now I have to go google the average room temperature in celsius...

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reader's Digest occasionally has an article where you can take a 10 question quiz to see whether it's worth you taking Mensa's full test. About 20 years ago, I took the quiz and got all 10 right so I signed up for the Mensa test.

To get into Mensa, you needed an IQ of 146, iirc, to get in and I got a 144. Since then, Mensa changed their testing method and now I would have gotten in with my score.

The psychologist who administered the test told me that he didn't like the setting for the Mensa test and, if I came to his office, he would give me a better one but he was sure I could get a much higher score. I was on the road to that, the test was spread over several days, but circumstances didn't let me finish.

One funny story was he took a small puzzle and dropped it on the table in front of me and I had to put it together as quickly as possible. I immediately recognized it as an elephant and put it together without hesitation. He said he gave me a grade of "almost perfect". I said "Almost?!" and he said, "Come on. You're not God!"

I just can't win.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)

You can't get an accurate IQ reading from an internet test though. If you do one of those you need to knock anywhere from 5-10 points off. And that's assuming you don't google the answers!

As drhowardfine mentions, you need to be tested by someone qualified.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took one online once, but my computer froze up when it came time to get the results. (Maybe my score was so low, the computer was laughing at me?)

I wasn't interested enough to do it all over again.

Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    The other thing to keep in mind is that being smart is about a WHOLE lot more than knowing how to program a computer, or design a website. Most of the people here are bloody good at those things, but you can't see whether they are well rounded in other aspects of their lives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My IQ went up after I started doing IT and web design/programming. I wonder what other aspects of my intelligence has been suffering as a result...

Like emotional intelligence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence for example...
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    Arthur C. Clarke

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been very skeptical of tests such as IQ tests. The questions often relate to things that you remember, like a famous person or such thing. Thinking itself has nothing to do with remembering a date, a person…

Most people are smart in the field that they choose to work in, not so smart in other areas of their lives. Once you get older you have hopefully accumulated a lot of wisdom, but that is not tested.

Autistic people can connect number combinations in a breeze, the patterns behind them, but they are not smart in the sense that we would like to see smart applied. Tests of this kind are really too narrow I think. I have had a score in the upper 2% of the test, but that does not mean much, I feel pretty stupid at times
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    IQ is about your cognitive ability, not your knowledge in a certain area. Real IQ tests don't have those general knowledge/memory type questions.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sceptical about these test as well. But I accept the fact that these tests help to differentiate a complete dummie from a genius. Of course you don't need a test to see that anyway. Obviously in a place like SPF forums you will find most of the regular contributors are significantly above the average; great minds from all over the world gather to share their ideas and knowledge here. And we don't need tests to see that.

I took a couple of those online tests for the heck of it too; one was linked in an issue of the Community Crier and another one on Facebook. If those are any good, I scored 140 and 142 respectively. I'd like to take a real test though, just for the heck of it.
    Saul

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    IQ is about your cognitive ability, not your knowledge in a certain area. Real IQ tests don't have those general knowledge/memory type questions.
    Yes I know, I have taken those a long time ago to get into an all paid program in engineering. I scored very high, we were 6 people chosen out of about 1200 applicants. I remember that this test was strictly about logic, fun too.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    To get into Mensa, you needed an IQ of 146, iirc, to get in and I got a 144. Since then, Mensa changed their testing method and now I would have gotten in with my score.
    Mensa requires a percentile of 98 or greater, because it's based on the top 1/50 of the population. This is equivalent to an IQ of around 133 (Stanford-Binet) according to this converter.

There's lots of different IQ scales; a 150 in one might be like a 130 in another. An internet test (which is fairly inaccurate at any rate) that doesn't tell you which scale it's using is useless, as is anyone who tells you their IQ and doesn't mention a scale. They differ in their standard deviation multiplier (the mean is 100 in most).
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff