SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Jumping Bean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search Engine Marketing 2.0 - Worth the premium over other books???

Hi,

I'm looking for a comprehensive primer on SEO. I realize that its a fast moving area and that books will become redundant quite quickly but I still want one and would like an up to date and thorough read.

I was tempted by Sitepoint's Search Engine Marketing 2.0 but I'm trying to assess whether its worth the quite large amount of extra cash over a "standard" book. I know this is probably a biased place to post this question but was wondering if anyone who has purchased the kit has an opinion on this.

If its not worth the cash are there any other recommended books to read (Up to date and thorough being the criteria)?

I know info online blogs etc will be more current but I want a book.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Online is better, if you need something tangible, print out the Search Engine FAQ.

Here is the question thread I started about this a while back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response. Yes I've read your thread.
    I will read the stuff online as well, but I do want a good book. There must be one out there. There are loads on Amazon but the problem is that by the time one has built up any decent reviews its no longer new enough. Can anyone direct me to an author perhaps that has written some stuff on the topic in the past who might have released a book in the not too decent past or perhaps may be releasing one soon?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, anyone got the SP kit? Any good? Worth the cash?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Bean View Post
    Thanks for the response. Yes I've read your thread.
    I will read the stuff online as well, but I do want a good book. There must be one out there. There are loads on Amazon but the problem is that by the time one has built up any decent reviews its no longer new enough. Can anyone direct me to an author perhaps that has written some stuff on the topic in the past who might have released a book in the not too decent past or perhaps may be releasing one soon?

Thanks.
    Well, there is valuable information to be gleaned from the books I mentioned in my thread and the SP Kit, but if you don't know what is accurate, you'll have to again verify online.

Books are good places to start, but there is no way they can keep up with the search landscape. Perhaps there's a magazine that does, but I have not heard of it. Maybe Stymiee should start one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about SEO news sites or blogs? I found a couple but not sure of how accurate they are. Especially blogs, as they are all content from one source. Does any one know of a good source?

I too am looking to stay current on the newest trends and do not want to buy a book that will be outdated. The FAQ is a great resource. But that's just a primer and does not cover more advanced tecniques.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have it and I thought it was worth every penny.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the SEM 2.0 kit and have a couple comments:

1) The content is good, but the binder they send it in looks like it was made by a two year old in the 1980's. The way they package it also leads to the tabs being bent and torn up before you ever get it*.

2) Like all printed materials, there is absolutely nothing new or revolutionary contained in the kit.

3) If you want a good comprehensive reference this is the best one I have seen so far. It certainly is not perfect, but it does the job.

*I receive other publications that use binders and tabs and they shrinkwrap the tabs separately on a piece of cardboard/paperboard so that they are not damaged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcgamez View Post
    I have the SEM 2.0 kit and have a couple comments:

the binder they send it in looks like it was made by a two year old in the 1980's. The way they package it also leads to the tabs being bent and torn up before you ever get it.
    Yeah, binders are a bit low-tech, which is why I bought a copy used off ebay. I then resold it on ebay