User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist on_way_to_fame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blank screen problem on XP

Hi,

I am running windows xp, and have had the machine for a fairly long time. I have “Intel extreme graphics” as my graphic software.

While I was working on my machine, there was flickering on the screen, and all of a sudden the colours became a lot dull. This has happened several times in the past but then it automatically fixes itself in 1 or 2 seconds, but this time It didn’t.

So I right clicked on the little “intel graphics” icon in system tray, clicked on display modes and choose high colour instead if true colour, and then all of a sudden the screen just went blank.

I restarted, and the XP logo shows up fine, but then nothing comes up. The login prompt does load but nothing shows up on the screen. I am able to go to my desktop in safe mode or with vga mode (note: even in vga mode, the colour of the screen keeps on changing every few seconds). I have been in device manager and updated the intel driver using the “update driver” option, but that doesn’t do the trick?

Any ideas on how I can fix this will be really appreciated?

Thanks
    Ash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either your monitor is no good or your graphics card is no good. It's usually the monitor. Booting into safe mode is usually a good idea. I would set the screen resolution as low as possible for testing and then increase it. Don't bother with that true/high colour thing. As I recall that switches it between 32 and 16 bit. You can do all of these things in the display properties dialog. Right-click anywhere on the desktop and hit properties. Set the resolution to 800x600 and the picture to 16 bit. Try rebooting normally and see if it works. Also is this an LCD or CRT? Another thing to check is the contact pins of the monitor cable. I assume you've checked that it's plugged in properly, sometimes if it's only semi plugged in you'll get a yellow tint on the screen. Also check the pins and make sure they're not damaged. I believe intel extreme graphics is an integrated card and I find it rare for those to malfunction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you re-installed windows XP?

if not, then I suggest you do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back up all your files then reformat and reinstall xp

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Crikey, reinstalling windows is _not_ a panacea!
    This is obviously a hardware problem, probably a dead/dying monitor.
    If you have one, try attaching another monitor to see if that fixes the problem.
    Rozner covered everything else