SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got scammed on ebay. What should I do?

I am writing the details of what happened below in the hope that someone here might be able to help me out.

I sold a laptop on ebay to a guy in California. He had a Verified paypal account with a confirmed address. He Had over 200 positive feedbacks and only one negative. Everything sounded fine so far.

His paypal email matched his yahoo email and his ebay account. He communicated to me through all three of these.

I get the 550 dollar payment via paypal. He asks me to send it to someone as present. I sent it to that address. He left me negative feedback because I took 3 days to ship it out.

3 weeks later, i get a notice from paypal saying that he did not authorize this payment. I gave them the tracking number and copies of the emails, but they refund the money into his account. I sent him several emails, but he never responded to any of them.

Ebay also removed the auction.. you can't see it anymore even if you type in the auction number.

So now someone has the laptop and I don't have the money. I also paid over 40 dollars to ship the thing.

It's a ****** thing to have happen right before Christmas.

What should I do?

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    What was their response when you gave them the tracking no and email correspondence?

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never used e-Bay.

Don't they have an actual phone number where you can call and talk to a real person instead of just e-mailing??

Also, if he sent that money to you are they allowed to go into you account and just take it back??... Is that even legal !?!

Do you have any lawyer friends you can talk to for free advice??

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...because I mean, you have evidence... You have all the e-mail conversations, right ??

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call the police in the city where you delivered the computer, and see if they'll help. If not, you're probably out of luck. Paypal will never help you.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flavorful View Post
    i get a notice from paypal saying that he did not authorize this payment
    Did you get a screen shot of this incoming payment from your Pay Pal account so you can PROVE the payment was received?

I bought a product that didn't work, filed a complaint with Pay Pal and they said they don't cover claims concerning quality...and then they erased the entire transaction from my Pay Pal account!

Pay Pal has something to hide, probably because they now have to follow Federal Reserve rules now that the Fed has agreed to consider Pay Pal funds to be FDIC insured like a bank.

If I were you, I'd go to http://www.FederalReserve.gov and file a complaint against Pay Pal and tell the Fed that they removed funds from your account without authorization.

Don't mention anything about this sale in your complaint because you consider the sale and the payment to be legit.

This is the same thing you would do if someone somehow took money out of your bank account without authorization, and your bank refused to do anything about it.

It's your right under Federal Reserve Rules (which is Federal Law) to be protected from unauthorized withdraw from any account that is insured by FDIC, which Pay Pal now is.

Pay Pal must abide by Federal Reserve Rules, so contact the Federal Reserve and file a complaint and demand your money back from Pay Pal.

If this doesn't work, your only recourse is to sue Pay Pal. You wouldn't have a case against the buyer because he'll blame it on Pay Pal or on you and then say he never received the product which is true.

In the future, only ship to a Pay Pal confirmed address NO exceptions. If that's a deal breaker, then wait for another buyer. Be sure and post that as a requirement in your auctions.

Now, go kick some *ss!!!