SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist Pixelateur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Does Google "punish" backlinks from guestbooks?

Hey,

I've been doing quite a bit of SEO over the last couple of months, primarily to boost the Google ranking of my newly launched web design business.

However, my site ranks very badly since I started to also post in guestbooks of various kinds (not too much though, only about 5 backlinks in total). The interesting thing is that my site now appears on page 7 vis-a-vis page 1 before my "guestbook invasion". In Yahoo, however, the site still ranks on page 1. It seems unaffected by any guestbook entries I have made.

Can anybody confirm my suspicion?

Cheers...
    Last edited by HAWK; Dec 19, 2007 at 19:29. Reason: Link removed.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    5 backlinks from guest books? I would have said that it was highly unlikely, if not completely untrue. Are the guest books on reputable sites?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The page they are on is irrelevant. Guestbook, blog, article, forum, etc. What matters is other factors like page strength, relevance, quantity of other links on the page, etc. The odds are those guestbook links are extremely weak and virtually worthless anyway. I suggest a better strategy to get backlinks as that may be the least productive way I can think of.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine you being punished even if they aren't reputable sites otherwise you could simply spam these sites with links to your competition

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    I can't imagine you being punished even if they aren't reputable sites otherwise you could simply spam these sites with links to your competition
    That's my understanding. I have a website client who has 150 links back from a completely unrelated site. The other site can't even see the links in their code, no one knows how or why they exist but they look spammy as hell.

Thing is, my client doesn't link to them and both the sites are reputable in their niche so Google will most likely (I hope) ignore the links.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its hard to get punished for something like that. If it was that easy to get punished it would be far too easy for your competitors to bomb your site with guest book links and remove you from the serps.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Google will most likely (I hope) ignore the links.
    That's the worst case scenario in reality as you certainly won't get punished for them.

The only thing people may waste is their time if they go down the route of this as a seo tactic as it will have very little to no benefit.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelateur View Post
    Hey,

I've been doing quite a bit of SEO over the last couple of months, primarily to boost the Google ranking of my newly launched web design business.

However, my site ranks very badly since I started to also post in guestbooks of various kinds (not too much though, only about 5 backlinks in total). The interesting thing is that my site now appears on page 7 vis-a-vis page 1 before my "guestbook invasion". In Yahoo, however, the site still ranks on page 1. It seems unaffected by any guestbook entries I have made.

Can anybody confirm my suspicion?

Cheers...
    I think you can post in guestbook if the site is related to yours it will do no harm..

But you must build links by using other alternatives.. Forums is a great sources of informations and backlinks...

Directories submissions, blogging...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very neat logic

SitePoint Evangelist Pixelateur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, this makes total sense to me. But why then does my page rank so badly with Google, but so well with Yahoo. When I type "web design hamburg" at Google.de (note: it's the German Google), my site appears on page 4 (used to be page 7 until yesterday, and page 1 (yes, O-N-E) a few weeks ago). When I enter the same at Yahoo.de (note: the German one again), the site appears on page 1. This has barely changed in the last couple of weeks.

Another thing to note is that my site is listed in dmoz.org, but not in the Yahoo directory, so I would expect it to rank better with Google than with Yahoo. But this isn't the case. I've read gazillions of books about Google, but this is one thing I don't quite understand...

Thanks for all your input.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could not agree with this more...Having penalized links would open a whole new realm of black-hat SEO tactics and Google doesn't want to go there. Links can be deemed useless but I doubt they can be negative since they can clearly be out of your control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricks View Post
    Links can be deemed useless but I doubt they can be negative since they can clearly be out of your control.
    You can spam your competition and it will hurt there rank. Proven fact. Infact my buddie that has a tool that does it, its pretty neat.

5 links from a guestbook wont do anything however. You are fluctuating a lot however, I would be careful with the link building. I think google knows something is going one, Im not sure what without looking at your whole picture.

You should be steadily moving on up. Maybe jumping back a page at worst.

But dont worry about those 5 links. Just find other ways to build links

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    You can spam your competition and it will hurt there rank. Proven fact.
    That's completely untrue. As usual.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They generally don't punish a site for backlinks from bad neighborhood unless you put a link back to that site, most of the time they just ignore the link.

You can spam your competition and it will hurt there rank. Proven fact. Infact my buddie that has a tool that does it, its pretty neat.
    can you show us an example?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    That's completely untrue. As usual.
    LOL!

http://www.google.com/search?q=googl...ient=firefox-a

googlebowling

Stymiee, give me one of your websites and ill see if I can do it, to prove to ya

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    LOL!

http://www.google.com/search?q=googl...ient=firefox-a

googlebowling

Stymiee, give me one of your websites and ill see if I can do it, to prove to ya
    Great. Someone wrote about it being true. Shocker. Now do a search for meta tags and see how many websites proclaim their importance as well.

Pick any website from my signature you want.