SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Subdomains?? what can I do ??

Hi there...

I'm wondering how can I optimize my website in order to gain a better place in search engine using Sub domains?

I mean www.photo.wish71.net (example) how can be useful in order to optimize wish71.net ???

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It can't. Subdomains are not an SEO technique.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sub-domains are seen as separate sites by Google and by creating a sub-domain you can use your keyword phrase in the sub-domain which gives you a tad more relevancy.

Just don't over do it. Only create sub-domains if they would actually be useful for separating content from the user's perspective.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Sub-domains are seen as separate sites by Google and by creating a sub-domain you can use your keyword phrase in the sub-domain which gives you a tad more relevancy.
    Not really. They clearly recognize that isn't the case and is a big reason why they stopped listing more then a couple of subdomains in their SERPs. Subdomains are no more effective for getting keywords into a URL then subdirectories. Use a subdomain if you plan on ever moving that content to its own server. Otherwise use a subdirectory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Not really. They clearly recognize that isn't the case and is a big reason why they stopped listing more then a couple of subdomains in their SERPs. Subdomains are no more effective for getting keywords into a URL then subdirectories. Use a subdomain if you plan on ever moving that content to its own server. Otherwise use a subdirectory.
    Wow, yet again you disagree with something I thought was an established fact.

If nothing else, you'll force me to examine everything I know about SEO over time, sometimes you'll change my mind, other times you wont but it's going to be fun

Having tried without success to dig up some credible proof to support my belief about subdomains and instead managing to find stuff which supports yours, I'm going to have assume I'm wrong about this one and ponder it for a while. It looks like what I said was true but isn't anymore.

In the mean time here's Matt Cutts on Google's opinion on subdomains/subdirectories (Not from an SEO persepctive)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can tell, subdomains do work for SEO, even more simple keyword subfolders with an index.htm file work...

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The change was recent, JJMcClure. IIRC it came from the Vegas SEO convention that Matt Cutts attended. Let me grab the link from Matt's blog.

And here we go: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/subdom...ubdirectories/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that change is very new. It probably isn't even fully implemented yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, yet again you disagree with something I thought was an established fact.
    This forum is delightfully low-bull in the seo department thanks to a relay race of people willing to give hard "no"s to completely unproven speculation.

Pretty much anything that helps you in search engine rankings without improving the actual content or usability of your site is a long-term threat to the relevancy of any search engine. If Google, or any other search engine fails to respond to these details, another search engine likely will, and, as a matter of course, become the next Google at the expense of Google becoming the next Excite.

Every search engine is going to do anything they can to eliminate those advantages, so in the long term they are all worthless as strategies.

In the short term, I'd say you are too late on the subdomain boat, I'd try to head off the herd at the next pass if you really want to try to play that game. But really ... if you are that clever, why not succeed on the brilliance of your content or the utility of your applications?
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm View Post
    This forum is delightfully low-bull in the seo department thanks to a relay race of people willing to give hard "no"s to completely unproven speculation.

Pretty much anything that helps you in search engine rankings without improving the actual content or usability of your site is a long-term threat to the relevancy of any search engine. If Google, or any other search engine fails to respond to these details, another search engine likely will, and, as a matter of course, become the next Google at the expense of Google becoming the next Excite.

Every search engine is going to do anything they can to eliminate those advantages, so in the long term they are all worthless as strategies.

In the short term, I'd say you are too late on the subdomain boat, I'd try to head off the herd at the next pass if you really want to try to play that game. But really ... if you are that clever, why not succeed on the brilliance of your content or the utility of your applications?
    I wish you would come around more often. I really do. You're missed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, John. Most definatley agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm View Post

I've had a number of discussions with Stymiee that you're probably unaware of, hence the 'wow, yet again', nothing else meant by it. And in this case it wasn't unfounded speculation at all, I was simply a few months out of date.

The 'low bull' attitude is one way to describe an attitude which I've found to be prevalent on this forum of relentlessly spreading the message that focusing on the user and building a well structured page IS good on-site SEO and if your content is useful, the rest will also come.

It's a powerful message and gives this forum an integrity that others lack, In fact, most of them feel like hack swap shops compared to sitepoint. I can never tell who actually knows anything and who's talking out of their rear.

It's also a very useful place to bounce ideas and theories around, I know I'm going to get genuinely useful opinions back. I've already added some tremendously useful knowledge to my SEO and gained an important perspective (refer to para 2).

Kudos to sitepoint and thank you to the people who take the time to post.

Sincerely yours, the Drama Queen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    The change was recent, JJMcClure. IIRC it came from the Vegas SEO convention that Matt Cutts attended. Let me grab the link from Matt's blog.

And here we go: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/subdom...ubdirectories/
    Yup got it. Thanks Dan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem.

Off Topic:

And now for a little humor: "Your mistletoe (avatar) is no match for my TOW missile!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem.

Off Topic:

And now for a little humor: "Your mistletoe (avatar) is no match for my TOW missile!"
    Heh, I love Futurama...

The mistletoe avatar was actually selected for me by whoever replaced my original which wasn't really suitable, I need to find something that's a little less risque.

How do you do those little 'off topic' boxes?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Type in
    HTML Code:
    [OT]off topic bit[/OT]
    The ot might need to be in capitals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

No capital letters needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Grazi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a true statement there

I don't know how some members can do this and there regular job too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jezz......
    What a mess....

Maybe I was not clear....

My idea was to use the sub domains in order to insert in the domains my key words
    I mean my website url regretfully has not the keywords that I like ... so maybe someting like ..... keyword.domain.net ..... example if I need photo as keyword.... this kind of subdomain like this will nelp ???? photo.wish71.net

I have not thought to insert link from sub domain to my main domain in order to increase ingoing number of links .... I think will not work at all, will be considered internal link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than worrying about doing this or that for SEO, why not just build your site for the people who will be using it and stop abusing the search engines for your own personal gain?

If you're going to use the subdomain to just rank well for the keyword "photo" then don't even bother using it because chances are good that it just won't happen. Especially with "photo" being such a competitive keyword as it is. If you're going to use the subdomain to build a "site" around photos, photography and the like, flesh it out properly and add to it reguarly (in other words, focus on the topic rather than the keyword) then by all means go for it. Especially if you end up moving the new "site" to its own domain name later on.

Take Yahoo and CNN for example. They don't use subdomains for SEO - they use them to separate groups of related content from one another. Like sports, weather, politics, and so forth. Organizationally speaking, that is how subdomains should be used. If the contents of those subdomains were on the main Yahoo and CNN sites, then they'd be a royal pain in the neck to maintain, would all be considered to be on the same domain (which neither site wants in this case due to the massive amounts of unrelated content on their networks that would clutter up the content on the main sites), and frankly would dilute any benefits that the disparate groups of related content woudl have gained had they been on their own subdomains.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, using a subdomain now has no seo advantages over using a directory structure so I'd personally just keep it simple and use a directory that's named the same as the section of the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than worrying about doing this or that for SEO, why not just build your site for the people who will be using it and stop abusing the search engines for your own personal gain?
    I notice in your skills set you talk about adding 'on-site SEO' as a skill.

I'm curious why you don't just follow your own advice and continue to create minimal code, accessible, user friendly sites "Rather than worrying about doing this or that for SEO". There does appear to be something of a contradiction. If that's not the case would you mind explaining why not?

Recommending that he not use sub-domains because it wouldn't work is one thing, recommending against it because you personally disprove is another.... we're all doing this for our own personal gain or that of our clients, who is in a position to judge this guy or any SEO? What he's asking about isn't black hat.

Also, I'd really like to see some of your sites, your skills set very closely matches my own, is that possible?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice in your skills set you talk about adding 'on-site SEO' as a skill.
    That was added months ago to make me look good. It really doesn't mean anything.

I'm curious why you don't just follow your own advice and continue to create minimal code, accessible, user friendly sites "Rather than worrying about doing this or that for SEO". There does appear to be something of a contradiction. If that's not the case would you mind explaining why not?
    Appearances can be deceiving. My definition of SEO is that it's a combination of best practices from various disciplines ranging from accessibility, information architecture, marketing and promotion, usability, Web copyrighting and Web development. Given that site structure (whether or not to use subdomains or directories) happens to fall under the domain of information architecture, I'd say there is no contridiction.

Recommending that he not use sub-domains because it wouldn't work is one thing, recommending against it because you personally disprove is another.... we're all doing this for our own personal gain or that of our clients, who is in a position to judge this guy or any SEO? What he's asking about isn't black hat.
    We're doing it for the people who use the Web. Afterall, making the Web as easy to use (and that does include finding the most relevant content pertaining to what a person is searching for) will have a far greater and positive impact on OUR bottom lines as well as those of our clients (for those of us who do this professionally - and by professionally I mean for monetary gain) than by cutting every corner and using every trick to weasel our way to the top.

Also, I'd really like to see some of your sites, your skills set very closely matches my own, is that possible?
    What do you think this place is? Digital Point? We have rules against self promotion here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was added months ago to make me look good. It really doesn't mean anything.
    ?

We're doing it for the people who use the Web. Afterall, making the Web as easy to use (and that does include finding the most relevant content pertaining to what a person is searching for) will have a far greater and positive impact on OUR bottom lines as well as those of our clients (for those of us who do this professionally - and by professionally I mean for monetary gain) than by cutting every corner and using every trick to weasel our way to the top.
    Why can't you assume that he's doing SEO the way you would, improving his rankings AND the quality of the content, give him the benefit of the doubt the same way we do for you?

Feel free to PM me the URL's to any of your sites if you can't post them. I'm happy to reciprocate if you're interested to see my work.