SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Needed: A simple app to resize photos before upload

All I need is a simple client-side app, either java or something similar that helps users resize an image to a set width before uploading to the server (the server side app is asp.net).

This is to reduce upload times (and errors with slow networks associated with this).

Also, many of our users aren't technical.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your users aren't that technical, I wouldn't give them another step to have to get to grips with. It would be smarter to resize the image on the server side (example tutorial here).

Does the app need to stop user from being able to change the size? Because there's always something like the XP Image Resizer: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx . That's pretty simple to use.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We currently ask them to use the XP power tools image resizer, but we want our system to flow seamlessly without asking people to resize elsewhere.

When someone tries to upload a 3megapixel photo from the camera (and nowadays most decent cameras are 7 megapixels and up) it takes ages and can cause problems if they have a slow or unstable connection.

We want an app to automatically resize to an acceptable size for them and upoad it quickly. The server will then take over and create and store a thumbnail image.

They could be uploading 7 images in quick succession and I think it would make a big difference to the usability of the site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense. I'll see what I can find or I'll try and throw together something together (unless someone beats me to it )

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Great thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are willing to pay, Aurigma has a pretty good client-side image uploader (ActiveX and/or Java Applet).

http://www.aurigma.com/Products/ImageUploader/
    David Shamloo-Ekblad

Go Habs! | For music addicts: Last.fm, SongMeanings

SitePoint Addict scoobasteve1982's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have a question in regards to your question....

If you were to resize an image that is real huge, and wait to resize it server side...wouldn't you have to upload the file first (hence the long wait per file) and then wait for the server to resize it?

I've considered this problem as well. I've only considered doing this for sites that I've programmed where the CMS allows users to upload thumbnails of a product or something (they usually take these ginormous photos). But I've encountered the problem of requiring them to upload the file first, then resizing. I typically do this in PHP but perhaps this is why you're asking about an Applet lol).

Would an applet be the best way to do this ? Seems like it...in PHP I warn of huge image sizes, suggest other ways to minimize file size, and present a "loader" icon and set script execution delay time to not time-out. Def. not the most efficient way but I'd love to hear others' comments....

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me I try to stay away from client side app for many obvious reasons.

Anyways, I foresee a problem already if you're going to use Applets because each OS has different default jre like windows and such. Chances are you are going to give support on how to install JRE. I even saw some OS that had multiple JRE installed! so... what I would do (it's just my opinion and ignore me like a bum if you want)

Is to create an active illusion to the user. For example, tenants complained of an elevator that takes too long. What did the landlord do? upgrade the elevator that costs $$$$$$? No, he just put some mirrors on the elevator door. So, now the tenants are fixing up their hair while waiting, keep themselves busy, and less complaints. With that said, I would use AJAX style of uploading the file and constantly update the screen which shows what percentage is complete. Also, while they are uploading the file, let them still do other tasks. Anyways, this is bums 2 cent advice.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobasteve1982 View Post
    I actually have a question in regards to your question....

If you were to resize an image that is real huge, and wait to resize it server side...wouldn't you have to upload the file first (hence the long wait per file) and then wait for the server to resize it?

I've considered this problem as well. I've only considered doing this for sites that I've programmed where the CMS allows users to upload thumbnails of a product or something (they usually take these ginormous photos). But I've encountered the problem of requiring them to upload the file first, then resizing. I typically do this in PHP but perhaps this is why you're asking about an Applet lol).

Would an applet be the best way to do this ? Seems like it...in PHP I warn of huge image sizes, suggest other ways to minimize file size, and present a "loader" icon and set script execution delay time to not time-out. Def. not the most efficient way but I'd love to hear others' comments....
    This was my exact question!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, i know this thread is a bit old, but this still can help some people: search google for "resize before upload", there is a Flash resizer/uploader on the market.

It's Flash, not Java, but many times cheaper than Aurigma and does the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One good thing with the Aurigma component is that it's a breeze uploading several files in one go. Say you have a folder with hundreds of photos; simply point out the folder and all the image files will be scaled before they are sent over the network. I don't think flash can do that. You'd have to select each and every file individually.

We contemplated using the Aurigma image uploader but decided to go with a server-side scaling approach instead by using JMagick (an ImageMagick wrapper for Java).
    David Shamloo-Ekblad

Go Habs! | For music addicts: Last.fm, SongMeanings