SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently, I've started my new web site (http://www.ledzepp.com) and already had a problem where i had to change my navigation bar 10 or more times. Every time i had to go over 30+ pages and find and replace them. Then i heard about SSI and thought it was a great idea. Tested my server everything works just great! The only problem is i don't see how it's going to help me next time I'll want to change my navigation bar. I would still have 30+ pages with <!--#include virtual="/something.htm" --> to go over and change them.

Can anybody please explain to me how do they take advantage of using SSI?

Thanks a lot.

------------------
    Stan Skobelskiy
    stan@ledzepp.com
    LedZepp.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm must say that i'm sorry. when i first read your post i had to chuckle. anyways here's your answer....

Ok you have something.htm lets say that this is your navigation bar.

you also have 30+ pages with <!--#include virtual="/something.htm" --> in them.

when ever you make a change to something.htm it will automatically change on all 30+ pages. The reason being is that you are using SSI (Server Side Includes). So when the browser requests let's say index.htm it tells the server "Hey send me index.shtm pronto". the server then grabs this file but before handing it over it goes "Wait is .shtm so i have to do something". The server looks over the page and it see's that you have asked it to include something.htm into the index.shtm file. It now goes and pulls something.htm and inserts the text of that file into the index.shtm file.

Once this is done it turns to your browser and says "Ok here's index.shtm" the browser grabs the page, interperts the html (even that html that was included) as one document and displays it into your broswer.

So when you make a change in something.htm it will automatically change in all 30+ pages. thereby saving you that hassel of changing them all by hand. It's also good for files that don't change often but are located in multiple files. like footers in a page or a drop down menu etc...

good luck with it and if you have any more questions let us know. i promise i'll restrain myself in the future.

------------------
    Eric Jones - WR Moderator / Administrator
    http://www.computermoles.com
    "Digging up the best in computer software!"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok but the problem is that something.htm is not the navigation bar.
    If you go to my web page: http://www.ledzepp.com you'll see that my navigation bar goes from the top to the left side, and there is no way that i can make it something.htm, or i am mistaken.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

------------------
    Stan Skobelskiy
    stan@ledzepp.com
    LedZepp.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure you just need to put everything below your home link into a separate file without any of the following tags.

<html></html>
    <head></head>
    <body></body>

Then place the SSI tag into your table where all this stuff was originally...

------------------
    Eric Jones - WR Moderator / Administrator
    http://www.computermoles.com
    "Digging up the best in computer software!"