SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Any guidelines to avoiding duplicate content?

    To what extent should you rewrite content? Is changing words, and how a statement is stated enough? Do you have to restructure it completely?

  2. #2
    phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    3,626
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the one of the best questions you can ask yourself is...
    What makes the content of my site unique?
    Did you devise a way to use existing content? Or did you develop your own content?

    Don't think in terms of changing words. Think more in terms of creating something exciting that engages your reader to the point they want to read more, return later, and tell their friends. If you get this part right, you will be prosperous one day.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is sort of in relation to the post i made here...http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520209.

    The content is sort of technical, and of a reference type.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried a free software called DupeFree Pro. It helps detect duplicate content. I tried testing it, using an editted article, and found a 72% match with the original. Anyone tried this yet?

  5. #5
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you write original material, do you really need this tool?

  6. #6
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    If you write original material, do you really need this tool?
    no, you don't. but i need it for the case in my other post...http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520209.

  7. #7
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,423
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If there is duplicate content then there really is a problem. If that content is on one site then you have PR leaks on your site. If you're trying to make a second site with the same content then you're trying to game the system and are asking for trouble. Duplicate content detection is only going to get better so I say don't even bother.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.........duplicte content may harm your site a lot so you must take care while creating ontent for your site. You can get idea from other resources on the web but you must write your content in your own words including your main keywords.

    See here About Google's guidelines about duplicate content-

    http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=66359

  9. #9
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,423
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolslko View Post
    Well.........duplicte content may harm your site a lot so you must take care while creating ontent for your site. You can get idea from other resources on the web but you must write your content in your own words including your main keywords.

    See here About Google's guidelines about duplicate content-

    http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=66359
    I wouldn't say harm your site a lot. But it definitely does hurt your site. Linking to dead pages, which is what duplicate content essentially is, obviously isn't a good thing. Especially if there is a lot of them.

  10. #10
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both sites are already up. It's the information that's still going to be put up. One is more general, the other is more specific and contains things that are not found in the general site. They are similar, AND they are different. Both sites are already making sales, the more specific site also contributes a lot to the sales.

    Ok, I think I should consider putting the information on the main site only, and put a link from the specific site to the main site's information resources.

  11. #11
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    I wouldn't say harm your site a lot. But it definitely does hurt your site. Linking to dead pages, which is what duplicate content essentially is, obviously isn't a good thing. Especially if there is a lot of them.
    Isn't the 'hurt' that the duplicate content just doesn't get indexed? You can't actually get penalised for it right?

  12. #12
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are duplicate content that will get penalized, and duplicate content that will not get penalized. I read in Matt Cutts blogs that before banning a site for outright copying of content from another site, they check it manually and make sure.

  13. #13
    O Rly?? JakeJeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_vhoi_ol View Post
    there are duplicate content that will get penalized, and duplicate content that will not get penalized. I read in Matt Cutts blogs that before banning a site for outright copying of content from another site, they check it manually and make sure.
    Is this duplicate content of the above paragraph?


    Not all duplicate content gets penalized, some does and some doesn't. Matt Cutts has a post in his blog where he said that before Google bans a site for copying content they'll first do a manual check to make sure the content was copied from another website.

  14. #14
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,423
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Isn't the 'hurt' that the duplicate content just doesn't get indexed? You can't actually get penalised for it right?
    Right. The other 'hurt' is the PR that you send to pages that don't exist. Basically that's PR being wasted that can instead be channeled to other pages within your site.

  15. #15
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeJeck View Post
    Is this duplicate content of the above paragraph?


    Not all duplicate content gets penalized, some does and some doesn't. Matt Cutts has a post in his blog where he said that before Google bans a site for copying content they'll first do a manual check to make sure the content was copied from another website.
    interesting.

    it's 46% duplicate content, on minimum length=1 using DupeFree Pro. I'm assuming Google uses more sophisticated algorithms than this free software does, so it should be more able to detect this as duplicate content.

    Anyway, this is just for the fun of it. I just realized it would be easier if I should just keep one copy of the information reference I'm putting up.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •