User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blog comment backlinks -

Is there any conclusive evidence that blog comment backlinks are seen differently from a link anywhere else on a blog, for example, if the blog owner put a link to your site on his blog, would it have more weight than your comment backlink?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A link is a link although keep in mind that most blog comments include nofollow which search engines generally just treat as normal text.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even in no follow up if you can be able to add your domain name as xyz.com it will help you somewhat, there are many blogs that do follow up, try to be little choosy when you comment to these blog.
    Convert your Ideas to Application
    UK Web Development | SEO Guru

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    A link is a link although keep in mind that most blog comments include nofollow which search engines generally just treat as normal text.
    This trend appears to be on the rise as well. So if you spend too much time on posting just for links rather than developing your site, then you'll be disappointed if a forum or blog switches things up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligence View Post
    Even in no follow up if you can be able to add your domain name as xyz.com it will help you somewhat, there are many blogs that do follow up, try to be little choosy when you comment to these blog.
    Right, but he's talking about weighted links not promotion.

I'm very choosy about where I comment, because my time is limited. Per my point above -- I don't blog for links because even if it were beneficial, I could benefit my site better by doing other things like generating new content or working on sales or something.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Is there any conclusive evidence that blog comment backlinks are seen differently from a link anywhere else on a blog, for example, if the blog owner put a link to your site on his blog, would it have more weight than your comment backlink?
    It's no different the a link anywhere else on the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    It's no different the a link anywhere else on the page.
    Mind if I ask how you know that? It's not that I don't take your word for it but I'd like to actually know why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be the case, only if the owner had nofollow on all links except for his own; which would be perhaps an odd practice.

Mind if I ask how you know that? It's not that I don't take your word for it but I'd like to actually know why.
    If you look at the code, all links are the same, so it makes sense that is how the SE's see them too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1) The location on the page is no indication of a links value

2) search engines don't know blog comments exist. They don't know blogs exist. They see all content as just that, content. The format is irrelevant

3) Factors that do affect a link's value are 10 The page's relevance, anchor text, relevance of text near the link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I mentioned earlier, a link is just a link irrelevant of where it appears.

For those blogs that don't use nofollow then it would probably have about as much weight as forum sigs considering that there's likely to be a lot of them on a page and the PR that is available to be passed along will be diluted amongst those links.

They'll certainly be low quality links if someone did go after these type so it's really not worth the time and I personally only comment on blogs when I have something valuable to add and whilst I will include my link where applicable, it isn't for seo reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, a couple of folow up questions came to mind:

1) The location on the page is no indication of a links value
    I've read that the closer to the top of a page a link is, the more weight it has because it's obviously more important to the site owner. So footer links don't carry as much weight.

2) search engines don't know blog comments exist. They don't know blogs exist. They see all content as just that, content. The format is irrelevant
    What if you made mutliple comments on a blog, the se's might see it as a backlinking spam attempt. If the backlinks didn't hurt you because the se's know that people would use this to sabotage sites, then why would the links have positive weight? Surely se's CAN recognise blogs, it would be well within their capabilities, with all that that implies?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read that the closer to the top of a page a link is, the more weight it has because it's obviously more important to the site owner. So footer links don't carry as much weight.
    I doubt that that's the case. With CSS you can position elements near the top of the page that appear later in your HTML. To do this search engines would dhave to render pages 'visually' to gauge just where on the page the link appearred (think of all the cross browser issues there currently are).

Also, it doesn't necessarily follow from a design perspective that links near the top of the page are more important. In adhering to a logical navigation structure, I might have a very important link that occurs in a category that is positioned lower than other categories.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    I doubt that that's the case. With CSS you can position elements near the top of the page that appear later in your HTML. To do this search engines would dhave to render pages 'visually' to gauge just where on the page the link appearred (think of all the cross browser issues there currently are).
    Yes, that's the recommended way to get around it but I'm not keen to try it. Feels too much like spoofing the se's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog comments are good specially in these days of Google tirade against paid links. But again- if your site has too many links from comments pages of blogs- there might be some sort of filter and a site might just get punished. Just my own speculation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnrang View Post
    Blog comments are good specially in these days of Google tirade against paid links. But again- if your site has too many links from comments pages of blogs- there might be some sort of filter and a site might just get punished. Just my own speculation
    Based on what?

Just a gut instinct? cos that's how I feel about it too, no evidence either way though yet.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speculation is the last thing you should trust when it comes to SEO. Seriously. Too often you see conjecture, guesses and speculation being given out like business cards at a networking social as if they were cold hard facts (even though they're not).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's a popular myth. It's similar to the one that says to put your important content near the top of the page to give it more weight. Neither are true.

What if you made mutliple comments on a blog, the se's might see it as a backlinking spam attempt. If the backlinks didn't hurt you because the se's know that people would use this to sabotage sites, then why would the links have positive weight?
    Why would they see it as spam? It can easily not be spam and usually isn't.

And the links may have positive weight but who says the links are valuable? The reality is most blog comment links are no better/slightly better then forum signature links. They don't carry much weight because the page they are on carries no/little weight. No arbitrary penalties required.

Surely se's CAN recognise blogs, it would be well within their capabilities, with all that that implies?
    I'm sure they can but why would they want to? Just because a page is part of a blog doesn't make it special in anyway. It's all just content. The form is unimportant to relevance.

Also, if you have a comment link on a blog then the site owner approved that link and considers it a good resource. Thus the link is no more or less valuable then any other link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure they can but why would they want to? Just because a page is part of a blog doesn't make it special in anyway. It's all just content. The form is unimportant to relevance.
    I agree, I mean what differentiates a blog from a news site which allows comments? Should they be treated the same or different because one's a blog?

Of course they should be treated the same as they're essentially just website's that allow user interaction and the only difference is where nofollow plays a part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Speculation is the last thing you should trust when it comes to SEO. Seriously.
    This isn't pure guesswork, most intuitive decisions are made based on some knowledge and experience leading you to a 'gut feeling', but it's not coming from thin air. I'm not speculating because I'm not assuming anything to be true.

That's a popular myth. It's similar to the one that says to put your important content near the top of the page to give it more weight. Neither are true.
    Something else that needs to be removed from the Sitepoint SEM kit then. The list is growing rapidly. Although, it makes sense to me and I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary, can you provide any?

Why would they see it as spam? It can easily not be spam and usually isn't.

And the links may have positive weight but who says the links are valuable? The reality is most blog comment links are no better/slightly better then forum signature links. They don't carry much weight because the page they are on carries no/little weight. No arbitrary penalties required.
    Why wouldn't they see it as spam? 10 links to your site from just one page on another site? Could simply be an attempt to manipulate the link system. They'd have to say 'ah well it's a blog, so that makes sense' but since it would be easy to sabotage someone they can't conversely assume that they're intentional on your part either and give them positive weight.

When I say weight, I'm talking about SERP relevance not PR. I still haven't figured out the point of PR if it doesn't help with the SERP.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're saying it isn't pure guesswork, yet your'e also saying you have no evidence to back up your guesses. Which way is it? (Oh, and PageRank is nothing more than a popularity contest when you sit down and think about it.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Something else that needs to be removed from the Sitepoint SEM kit then. The list is growing rapidly. Although, it makes sense to me and I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary, can you provide any?
    I can turn the tables and ask anyone who backs it up to also provide the same proof. But they can't. And the reason why this isn't true is obvious: location of text on a page doesn't indicate it's relevance or importance. After all, isn't a conclusion, which usually contains a good summary of an article, usually at the end of a page?

Why wouldn't they see it as spam? 10 links to your site from just one page on another site? Could simply be an attempt to manipulate the link system. They'd have to say 'ah well it's a blog, so that makes sense' but since it would be easy to sabotage someone they can't conversely assume that they're intentional on your part either and give them positive weight.
    You can be sure that ten links to the same page on one page doesn't have the same weight as ten links to different sites. Plus by adding more links to the page they dilute the value of every link on the page anyway so it's not like they're getting any great boost by adding more of them to the page. Especially when most pages are weak and their links are weak, too.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are my thoughts as well. You already have a lot of links on the same page to compete with for the PR, even if you have 10 links pointing to you.

Anyway, some blogs still don't use rel=nofollow. Some pages even have PR 4 or so. I sometimes post on blogs for the links, but I make it a point not to sound SPAMMY, that is, I take the time to really read the blog and really post a good comment.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    I had over 300 incoming links to my site. I had links from Technorati, blog directories, and only a handful from other blogs discussing my posts. The rest were blog comments I made on other blogs. Most of them have "nofollow" on the links.

My site went in the Sandbox around Sept. or so. Since then, most of my links other than blog comments have disappeared. So now, the vast majority of my incoming links from comments I made on other sites. Despite that fact, my site went from a PR0 to a PR3 as of the last PR update, according to a multi data center PR check from seologs.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can turn the tables and ask anyone who backs it up to also provide the same proof. But they can't. And the reason why this isn't true is obvious: location of text on a page doesn't indicate it's relevance or importance. After all, isn't a conclusion, which usually contains a good summary of an article, usually at the end of a page?
    I really don't care where the proof comes from as long someone provides some damn proof, do you have any idea how confusing this is for someone in my position? What am I supposed to believe??

Two experts saying 'you prove it' at each other doesn't help anyone.

The importance of a link being a factor of where it's located on a page makes sense. And we were talking about links here not text, but I wouldn't look in a conclusion for clues to content, I'd look where Google looks, in the title, headings, nav anchors and the first bits of text which are bound to use it.

So the position theory makes sense and I'll continue to believe there's something to it until I see evidence which clearly contradicts it.

You can be sure that ten links to the same page on one page doesn't have the same weight as ten links to different sites. Plus by adding more links to the page they dilute the value of every link on the page anyway so it's not like they're getting any great boost by adding more of them to the page. Especially when most pages are weak and their links are weak, too.
    What do you mean by 'weak'? Are you talking about PR or relevance?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I really don't care where the proof comes from as long someone provides some damn proof, do you have any idea how confusing this is for someone in my position? What am I supposed to believe??

Two experts saying 'you prove it' at each other doesn't help anyone.
    If someone is going to claim something has an affect on search rankings they either need to back it up with results from an experiment (ideal) or some very sound logic. The people who spread most myths do neither.

General rule of thumb, if someone is trying to sell you something expect more hype then substance when it comes to SEO. Telling people SEO is just a few basic principles won't sell many books.

The importance of a link being a factor of where it's located on a page makes sense. And we were talking about links here not text, but I wouldn't look in a conclusion for clues to content, I'd look where Google looks, in the title, headings, nav anchors and the first bits of text which are bound to use it.

So the position theory makes sense and I'll continue to believe there's something to it until I see evidence which clearly contradicts it.
    You're confusing semantic markup with text location. Two very different things.

Are you talking about PR or relevance?
    Relevance, although usually both.