SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Got Vista need firewall

I couldn't get around buying a Laptop with Vista so now I found out that there are known "compatibility problems" with my favourite free firewall Sygate. Are there any other good ones that you can recommend that are both free and relatively user friendly? Zone alarm for instance is free but not veeery user friendly. It just keeps asking the same questions over and over again and seems to be resistant to being taught rules.
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'll be. To this day I thought the new Vista's firewall provides good enough protection and I didn't bother to install a different firewall. I've been attacked only once during the past years, then ZA saved ass. You can never be too sure, but reading this article I am no longer sure. It appears that this Vista's firewall is a baloney and they have a paid service, which you might use for proper protection. Bah humbug, downloading ZA as I write.

With that said, I don't think Zone Alarm is not very friendly. It's a great firewall. It does not keep asking the same questions if you mark the choice as permanent, and if it does, that means something has changed. It's a great firewall.
    Saul

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks daemon! Well to be honest the last experience I had with zone alarm and the unfriendly repetitive asking was about 3 years ago so I'm positive that a lot has changed since then. I'll download Zone Alarm and use AV Antivirus which should give me a decent level of protection.
    BTW apparently the first big service pack for Vista has been released so you might want to check that out. I'll also have to download that sooner rather than later.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hardware firewall will offer much better protection. Most consumer routers comes with a firewall built in and offer very good protection out of the box.

Windows Vista's firewall doesn't by default block out going traffic, which honestly isn't much of a problem unless your system has been affected with spyware or some other malicious program. That should be less likely on Vista since it prompts you for installing anything (unless you said yes and/or turned off UAC along with being admin. But then you are shooting yourself in the foot.)

Microsoft did a favor for the general public by not enabling outbound blocking by default far more trouble and annoying then UAC every program that access the network must be cleared. Or the network is completely disabled nothing gets out or in.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a hardware firewall as well.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then you don't really need a software firewall, Windows built in will do just fine.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I travel around sometimes I'll install it just for good measure. At home I have my router but abroad you never know what you'll get served.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to explicitly install malware, a shifty program that you wanna try or what not is enough. Then the only thing standing between this program and the internet is your software firewall. Hardware firewall won't do much in this case. And now that I found out about Vista's firewall, I think it is a good idea to install 3rd party one. You can never be too sure.

Regarding the service pack, I think the final version is not out yet?
    Saul

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ZoneAlarm will lag your system, and can't remember to leave the internet locked after reboot. A couple you can check out, one free, one pay:

Comodo Firewall Pro
    http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS)
    http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...meProducts.php

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, that comodo one looks very good at first glance. I might give that one a test drive. Thanks!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure thing. I used to run Sygate also, now on Kaspersky and it's a fair deal for what comes in the box. Put Comodo on the wife's comp a short time back, and so far so good... kinda surprised at its features/granularity. I'd take it over ZA any day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been running ZoneAlarm on both my personal Vista machines, and have had no issues. Having said that, I'm on the far-left side of the paranoid scale. I only even have a 3rd party firewall installed for testing purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend Zone Alarm. I had no problems with it.

No computer lagging, like bob_b said, no slow computer performance... Worked just fine

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a hardware firewall it should catch a lot of things, most of them in fact. I use the Vista firewall just because of that fact.

Also if you install "shifty" software...then you deserve to get infected...thats my theory at least.

The best defense is a good offense....know what you're installing before you install it. And for God's sake, read! A lot of programs now come with piggyback programs (most likely toolbars, etc.) and almost always those piggybacking programs don't have to be installed, so don't just click next 20 times until the program is on your computer. That i just asking for trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    COMODO is a free firewall, and its performance is excellent.

I have been using it for more than 3 years