SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is Link Bait?

Link bait is content on your site to which other sites link naturally because they want to, not because you ask them to. It creates more links to your site, which really do help you in the web promotion. you don't have to get on your knees and beg for the links because you will get many links naturally.

Check the following tips for link baiting.

1) Quality of link bait should be not just great but it should be good looking.(Good colors scheme).
    2) A great “title” for your link baiting.(It has capacity to convert your visitors into costumers).
    3) Add images to your link bait beside each paragraph.(Image will change your mind perceptions on it).
    4) Post your link bait in blogs and forums.
    5) Add social bookmarking websites links at the bottom of your link bait.
    6) Launch your link baiting articles on social bookmarking sites.(Please choose an appropriate time when you think most of the visitors will be online at that time).
    7) Promote your videos on videos sharing websites.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How successful is link baiting? I have seen this kind of advertisement and I find it somewhat irritating for when my mouse pointer go over the word that is underlined, a meaning or something will float. Is this what link baiting is or I might get the wrong idea?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkalot View Post
    How successful is link baiting? I have seen this kind of advertisement and I find it somewhat irritating for when my mouse pointer go over the word that is underlined, a meaning or something will float. Is this what link baiting is or I might get the wrong idea?
    From Wikipedia

Link Bait is any content or feature within a website that somehow baits viewers to place links to it from other websites. Matt Cutts defines link bait as anything "interesting enough to catch people's attention."[3] Link bait can be an extremely powerful form of marketing as it is viral in nature.

Link bait in search engine optimization

The quantity and quality of inbound links are two of the many metrics used by a search engine ranking algorithm to rank a website. Link bait creation falls under the task of link building, and aims to increase the quantity of high-quality, relevant links to a website. Part of successful linkbaiting is devising a mini-PR campaign around the release of a link bait article so that bloggers and social media users are made aware and can help promote the piece in tandem. Social media traffic can generate a substantial amount of links to a single web page. Sustainable link bait is rooted in quality content.

Types of link bait

Although there are no clear-cut subdivisions within link bait, many attempt to divide them into types of hooks. This is a short list of some of the most common approaches with brief descriptions:

* Informational Hooks - Provide information that a reader may find very useful. Some rare tips and tricks or any personal experience through which readers can benefit.
    * News Hooks - Provide fresh information and garner citations and links as the news spreads.
    * Humor Hooks - Tell a funny story or a joke. A bizarre picture of your subject or mocking cartoons can also prove to be a link bait.
    * Evil Hooks - Saying something unpopular or mean may also yield a lot of attention. Writing about something that is not appealing about a product or a popular blogger. Provide strong reasons for it.
    * Tool Hooks - Create some sort of tool that is useful enough that people link to it.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBLAUNCHPHXX View Post
    Link bait ... creates more links to your site
    compared to what?

seems to me it's just another fancy name for doing what you should be doing in the first place

as if people go around consciously thinking "i'm gonna post this stuff on my site so as not to attract links"
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    compared to what?

seems to me it's just another fancy name for doing what you should be doing in the first place

as if people go around consciously thinking "i'm gonna post this stuff on my site so as not to attract links"
    You should hang around the SEO forums more. We say that all the time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    Haha that is funny.

If you make a blog post, and it gets dugg...thats link bait. lol

Topics mostly cover iphones, linux, macs, and windows.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am of course not representative of everyone, but a graphic next to each paragraph is terribly distracting for me. Otherwise the techniques really are what you should be doing anyway.

SitePoint Enthusiast Eric Engel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link bait is just another word for viral marketing...well, maybe it has a very specific goal, but the method is the same. Viral marketing- to increase traffic and awareness. Link bait- to increase the number of links. But you do the same thing for either of them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure that the two are the same. Realistically link baiting involves just setting up a page as it SHOULD be set up-setting it up well with things that people want to see. That makes them come back and link to you.

What about having a good site is like viral marketing?

SitePoint Enthusiast Eric Engel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure that the two are the same. Realistically link baiting involves just setting up a page as it SHOULD be set up-setting it up well with things that people want to see. That makes them come back and link to you.

What about having a good site is like viral marketing?

Link bait is much more than just having a good site. While a good site could be considered link bait, we're talking about something much more specific. For example, a specific tool on your site (like if you were to create a script that could allow people to enter in their web address and then find all the other websites that are using duplicated content) is link bait. That's something we might point out to each other on a blog or in a forum. But just having a great site doesn't always bait links...it's not viral.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, thank you for the clarification. It wasn't made clear earlier that it is a more underhand than a normally built site.