User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dropped off Google?

Hi,

My site was ranking on page 1 of Google. A couple days ago, it disappeared for that keyword, but it's still ranking for a variety of related keywords. However, when I go to google.co.uk or google.fr and I search "the web" rather than UK/France pages only, I see my site at #2 for the keyword.

It doesn't show at all on normal Google.com though. Google Analytics says I am still getting traffic from that keyword. About 90% of my traffic is from the USA, so I'm assuming they would use Google.com. How is this possible? I know Google has different datacenters, but it's been like this for days.

Thanks.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in google.com is much compatative. Its have more privillage than .fr.sa.uk etc. i think 90% users will check it google.com . So basically u will have less rank

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The keyword is NOT competitive. I didn't even get sandboxed, that's how uncompetitive it is. In fact, I was on PAGE 1 of the rankings, but now I'm NOWHERE, not even page 10, 20, etc.

That also doesn't explain why Analytics says people are finding my site through that keyword even though it's nowhere to be found!

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google dance maybe? http://www.metamend.com/google-dance.html

Wait a couple of days and see if it reappears.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How new is the site? Have any changes been made to the site?

Does a search for site:domain.com return results from the site (presumably it will if it's returning the site on local searches).

It doesn't sound like you'd have been dropped for any reason so if this has only happened in the last few days then I'd do as JJMcClure suggests and give it a couple of days... if the problem is still the same in a week's time then there may be different issues but I suspect it will correct itself in a couple of days.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Google doesn't dance anymore and hasn't for years.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    How new is the site? Have any changes been made to the site?

Does a search for site:domain.com return results from the site (presumably it will if it's returning the site on local searches).

It doesn't sound like you'd have been dropped for any reason so if this has only happened in the last few days then I'd do as JJMcClure suggests and give it a couple of days... if the problem is still the same in a week's time then there may be different issues but I suspect it will correct itself in a couple of days.
    Site is about 1.5 months old. I don't think it's a sandbox issue because these are very targetted, uncompetitive keywords. The keyphrase I was specifically dropped for contains 4 words. A lot of other sites that are new are still being ranked on there.

The site has been changed. I changed all the content, layout, etc. on the index page and added new pages.

Site:domain.com returns results.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you check position for dissapeared keyword on Google.com from the USA? If you check it from any other country results could extremely differ. For checking positions from USA try www.intop20.com.

Internet Business Optimizer KCgame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of my sites tend to disappear in rankings if they have not gotten any new inbound links for quite a while.. try to build some fresh links and see if it comes back

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you chamged layout the site might be relisted by google under new terms if you used any. I am sure they are reindexing site after layout changes.

Wait and see how it works out

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, waiting is the only thing you can do to see how it works out as rcj662 suggested and be sure to tell us what happened. Generally google ranks new site at some good position in their SERPs just to see if the site is any good, after that period is over it drops the site back to its normal position depending on other factors.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_2007 View Post
    Interesting, waiting is the only thing you can do to see how it works out as rcj662 suggested and be sure to tell us what happened. Generally google ranks new site at some good position in their SERPs just to see if the site is any good, after that period is over it drops the site back to its normal position depending on other factors.
    That's called the new site boost. It most likely exists to give new content a chance to get some exposure (and build links) before it is deposited where it rightfully belongs in the SERPs. I am guessing the theory is if the content is good it will garner links that will help Google rank it properly ads we all know new sites start off with a handicap as they have no quality links to start. This can allow quality content to get some links and perform better in the SERPs which makes Google's results more relevant. (God, I hope I explained that well).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    That's called the new site boost. It most likely exists to give new content a chance to get some exposure (and build links) before it is deposited where it rightfully belongs in the SERPs. I am guessing the theory is if the content is good it will garner links that will help Google rank it properly ads we all know new sites start off with a handicap as they have no quality links to start. This can allow quality content to get some links and perform better in the SERPs which makes Google's results more relevant. (God, I hope I explained that well).
    Yes, that is exactly what i was talking about and you explained it very well.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google doesn't dance anymore and hasn't for years.
    What? Where does it say that?
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Um, they stopped dancing almost 4 years ago IIRC. Anyone know the approximate date where Google started doing continuous updates? I know it has been a looong time.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, they stopped dancing almost 4 years ago IIRC. Anyone know the approximate date where Google started doing continuous updates? I know it has been a looong time.
    Since summer of 2004 (source see the historical note at the bottom)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That sounds about right.