SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox is best because of all the addons and themes! (IMHO)
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use Opera, FF and IE, depending where I am testing then. I also have netscape, Swift for Windows installed (various versions of each, except for Swift... the windows version is not good)

I found Opera annoying at first, but now I quite like it. Have to say that I use it only to browse SP, though . I think that it loads faster than any other browser.

I like FF better because of the add-ons. Many of the ones I use (for leisure and for development) are not available for Opera, so I am not bothering changing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been using Firefox for a while on both Windows and Mac. The only time I ever use IE is if it's on someone elses system. I can't be bothered to convince them to not use IE, but for my systems, home or work it's always Firefox. I've been using Firefox 3 beta recently, it's a lot more responsive than Firefox 2.

Now that said, I was reading through this thread and decided to try Opera as I've only ever used it for testing, but I've decided to give a try and so far I actually like it. I may end up using it for a while. I'm not exactly sure what's counter intuitive about it... I've been able to find everything I need pretty easily. But then again I use new programs all the time so I'm used to seeing things that are unfamiliar, and probably wouldn't notice the difference.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FF baby

fast easy simple, I like it a lot.
    ResellerScene.com | cPanel/WHM 11 Master Reseller Hosting
    VPSpub.com | Get Paid to Post = FAST CASH!. Cheap Ads Available!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opera. :]

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Opera. I've customized it to have only two toolbars and I use the Tango CL theme. It's fairly minimalist yet attractive and full-featured.

Internet Explorer and Firefox annoy me because of the stupidity of their interface workflows. If I rightclick on the address field, it's possible I'm going to paste a URL in there. If I'm pasting a URL, I probably want to go there too. As such, why not provide a "Paste and Go" option? Currently I have two options in their enforced workflow. First, I could move my mouse cursor to right edge of the screen, click go, then move my mouse cursor all the way to the left edge to click "back" after I'm done. Second, I need to click paste, take my hand from the mouse and bring it to the keyboard, find the enter key (which is an even bigger pain in the rear when the lights are off) and tap it, then move my hand back to the mouse. Both of these enforced workflows are idiotic. Give me a "Paste and Go" option so I don't need to fumble in the dark looking for the enter key or jump through hoops across the entire screen to tell the browsers something so simple!

It's all of the little things that make Opera such a joy to use. I can "Paste and Go." I can hold the right mouse button and flick the scroll wheel to switch between tabs. I can hold the right mouse button and click the left to go back in history and I can hold the left mouse button and click the right to go forward. I can change the skin without restarting. I can integrate voice into Opera with a few clicks so I can simply listen to a page being read to me while I clean the room or cook. I can double-click to select a word, triple-click to select a sentence, and quadruple-click to select a paragraph. I can copy sentences and paragraphs to notes that also act as bookmarks in less than a second. In short, I can accomplish my tasks without jumping through hoops, fumbling in the dark, or being slowed down by a clumsy interface.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Safari on windows is the best browser period.

DEAL WITH IT

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    Safari on windows is the best browser period.
    What's a browser period?
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    What's a browser period?
    ie6?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    What's a browser period?
    time period a geek stick to one browser?

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^hahahah that's hilarious

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it Vinnie. Don't know about anyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megamanXplosion View Post
    why not provide a "Paste and Go" option?
    I like that in Opera, too.
    Currently I have two options in their enforced workflow. Both of these enforced workflows are idiotic.
    You can customize it to do most/all of that in about:config in Firefox.
    so I don't need to fumble in the dark looking for the enter key or jump through hoops
    Use the shortcut keys in Firefox. You don't need to use the mouse at all.
    I can "Paste and Go."
    You can only count that feature once, not three times.
    I can hold the right mouse button and flick the scroll wheel to switch between tabs. I can hold the right mouse button and click the left to go back in history and I can hold the left mouse button and click the right to go forward.
    Firefox "mouse gestures".
    I can integrate voice into Opera with a few clicks so I can simply listen to a page being read to me while I clean the room or cook.
    How long are these pages you visit?!

The rest of the things you list can be done in Firefox also. You need to check things out before you criticize. Not that I don't like Opera. I do. It's great!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hai Friends

I like internet explorer 7.0 once upon a time After I used Mozilla Firefox Now I stick with Mozilla Firefox I am really enjoying to use Mozilla firefox
    Last edited by rose77mary77; Dec 24, 2007 at 18:02.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, but you don't have to yell.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard, I wasn't sure if that was a joke or not. I downloaded Safari after I read Vinnie's post—ugh!—so the joke was on me. Vinnie's a jerk, but a lovable one

Anyhow, you said, "Use the shortcut keys in Firefox. You don't need to use the mouse at all." I think you've missed my point. I like using the mouse but I don't like jumping through hoops to do things. Your solution consists of me jumping through hoops in a different way. I think browsers should conform to people rather than people conforming to browsers. I like using the mouse but dislike the workflows Firefox and Internet Explorer enforce pertaining to the mouse.

You said I can "only count that feature [Paste and Go] once, not three times." I didn't count it three times. I showed that other browsers were missing that basic feature and I counted it as +1 for Opera once I started talking about why I thought Opera was the best browsing software.

I am well aware of Firefox's mouse gestures plugin. The features I outlined are so basic—so fundamental to the browsing experience—that you shouldn't need plugins for it. You shouldn't need to hunt about on a website for it, or have to restart your browser once you're done hunting, or deal with incompatibility issues when upgrading just to have such basic features. This is part of the problem with Firefox because if you don't want to jump through one set of hoops you need to go out of your way to jump through a different set of hoops. Those features should be available out of the box and not irritate users with incompatibility issues when they want to upgrade.

How long are the pages I read? If printed with a 11pt font, anywhere from one page to six hundred pages. I love reading science articles, history books, philosophy articles and books, and various fiction books on the Project Gutenberg website. Sometimes I want to step away from what I'm reading to clean my room, take care of my lizards and birds, cook a meal, and so on but I don't want to stop absorbing all the wonderful information I come across. Opera's voice functionality allows the World Wide Web to integrate with other parts of my life—which is great—rather than being confined to those moments I'm sitting at the computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megamanXplosion View Post
    Howard
    My name's not Howard but you can call me Doc. I'm not a doctor either but I like being called one.
    You said I can "only count that feature [Paste and Go] once, not three times." I didn't count it three times.
    Half kidding. It reminded me of the time I was holding an event. Someone asked me how many were coming and I said, "Well, there's me...and you...and, did I say I was coming? That makes three...and then there's you....."

The features I outlined are so basic耀o fundamental to the browsing experience葉hat you shouldn't need plugins for it.
    I'm not so sure they are fundamental. I don't use any of that stuff but I have so much going on, I don't take time to learn them; or I forget them due to lack of use/laziness.
    have to restart your browser once you're done hunting
    Talk about lazy
    This is part of the problem with Firefox
    It comes under the customizing category.
    with incompatibility issues when they want to upgrade.
    I don't understand what you mean by compatibility problems. Do you mean when FF upgrades, sometimes the extensions won't work? Extensions are written by 3rd parties, not Firefox/Mozilla. They have no control over that. iirc, Opera add-ons are all written by 3rd parties, too.

The voice thing is pretty cool but most of us don't use it. That's why having extensions could lighten the browser footprint for those of us who don't.

If it weren't for the web dev tools on FF, and the fact that I'm just used to it, I would probably use Opera.