SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Editing Wordpress Themes

I found 2 different themes that i liked for my blog but each one has something the other doesn't have that I want.

For instance, This Theme has those cool calender icons that I'd like to put on my other template I'm going to use.

Is this something I can do or am I stuck with the way the other is designed?

What exactly can be added to a Wordpress theme?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most themes aren't meant to be spliced together, especially as it makes the credit harder to keep straight and both need to be on there if you use icons from one on the base of another.
    Homeward Bound Puppy now with a store!

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Racer,

Editing WordPress themes generally isn't a good idea as far as I'm concerned, since each theme has its own quirks, not to mention was coded a certain way. Even the theme "framework" I have under construction (which I will be giving away) has specific rules that will have to be followed in order to be used properly.

Also, remember that while the images may be in a theme, you do NOT have permission from the lawful owner of those images to repurpose them for other work unless the owner of the images either includes such permission in a license, or explicitly grants it to you (because you took the time to ask).

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the theme mentionned by Racer with another background (exactly the same theme from the same guy(s) anyway for sure)

Where do you think that can be located the background image ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, you can do just about whatever you want with a Wordpress Theme within reason. It isn't wise to change the basic structure of the page in terms of layout, but if you use your imagination you should be able to do what you want.

Do you know php? This has a lot to do with how the page functions. If you need to change the look of the calender, find the php control and the corresponding CSS control. You should be able to change it there?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're saying you don't care about copyright laws?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    So you're saying you don't care about copyright laws?
    I don't think Jacobstoops was suggesting breaching copyright laws. Many (most?) themes allow for modification for your own purposes and I'm assuming that's what was being referred to.

I've heavily modified existing themes in the past (was too lazy to make my own), but this has always been when the licensing of the existing design has allowed it. The Venus flytrap site in my signature is an example of this, but my personal blog (also in my sig) is a custom design.