SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rural America - A Dorito Diet?

I have always remarked myself how milk costs more in the ghetto. It is always those with the least means to obtain alternatives that get left with overpriced dregs.

No car? No real grocery store in your hood? Just a store on the corner where everything is marked up and made by the Devil (high fructose corn syrup and then a list of ingredients that can barely be pronounced)? All to common.

Is it that simple? Not really, but pretty doggone close. Quality goods and services always end up where the money is not where they are most needed.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely an interesting issue that's not likely to go away as the nation and world's population booms. As a "free market" it makes little financial sense for a "quality" grocery store to be located in every rural community and if you read some research, there are opinions that indicate having one doesn't change things by any significant measure.

Ultimately in the country where this story takes place, price is a reflection of supply, demand and the consumer's ability (or decision) to pay. Not something simple to solve in the most remote sense of the word, but vital to understand none the less.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^People used to grow things. Made great sauce and salad from the garden effortlessly, every day - trimmed herbs from the window sill instead of paying $3 at the yuppie market for some in a plastic box about to spoil and sprayed and treated with unpleasant things. Some still do. It is partially time, partially interest and skill but we don't have to be so dependent as to push a cart a long a highway to buy Doritos do we? Is there mind control or crack in the Doritos or something to compel someone to act in such a way?

I wish (an am not suggesting you meant this at all) that the suggestion that we need to spend our way out of trouble, that consumerism is all mighty, wasn't so pervasive. When I have a quiet moment with my 68 year old Dad neither he nor I care about iPod's, ubuntu, the sub-prime crisis, why Cheetos are cheaper than an apple...

If we relied on ourselves a little more and not the "store" so to speak...we might begin to get somewhere.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really felt that way, you probably wouldn't live in Brooklyn (as do I).

It's nearly impossible to be self-reliant around here.

There is an interesting thing happening in Los Angeles (my true home) where they feel that there are too many fast food and other crap food outlets and not enough grocers and healthy food sources. They want to start regulating how many fast food places can open, etc. to encourage availability of green food, produce, etc. Very interesting and complex debate.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^I do we go to the market at (5 blocks from me give or take) Grand Army Plaza and I am able to buy from some of the same vendors I did when I lived upstate. There is another on 5th Avenue by the Gate and another at Ft. Greene Park. So while I can't afford the space to grow my food supply myself, I directly subsidize those who do, as often as possible. I also will shop the local deli over Duane Reade and their insufferable lines.

My folks have 30 something acres and grow and barter a lot so I get my fair share of ultra free range, super cared for food.

I do indulge in some convenience, but I believe the density of services we have in the city, their proximity is what offsets the rest. We aren't driving, really ever - save the occasional zip car. That is more a sacrifice than most people in this country would make and I will do it by buying as local produce and services as possible - not driving to the mall. The fact that what you need is around the corner in the city (available at near any time) instead of a 30 minute car ride might very well literally make all the difference in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    There is an interesting thing happening in Los Angeles (my true home) where they feel that there are too many fast food and other crap food outlets and not enough grocers and healthy food sources. They want to start regulating how many fast food places can open, etc. to encourage availability of green food, produce, etc. Very interesting and complex debate.
    This is emblematic of the locavore and loosely related freeganism movements spreading (their is sooo much extra in the city - it just grossly ends up in the trash). Really folks, if it ain't broke, do you need a new one? Do you realize all restaurant food is leftovers and re-heated - they didn't cook your whole meal from scratch in 10 minutes ? That most of the pollution China creates and their people suffer through is produced in an effort to make plastic cr4p bound for the US? Theirs is ours - ours is theirs - this is a small rock we are all on.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting newsweek article. i think it's pretty true too. how do we turn around people's way of thinking? the other concern is that a lot of people just can't afford to buy better food/clothing etc - walmart is all some people can afford. sad but true. thanks for the article

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Healthy food is just way too expensive. I mean, I can get a McDouble for $1 whereas I can't get a small bag of almonds for less than $2. I'll take the McDouble any day It's okay ladies, I only weigh 128lbs.
    hoang harry tran [harrytran.com]
    get RICH quick by going to my site. rich in useless knowledge

recently redesigned the site, witness its greatness