SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

adsense in forum not wanted

A few days ago i put adsense in my forums, just below the first post. After that i got lots of critics, especially from the main members, they are not happy with it and i should put them away. One has left the forum i wonder what i shoud do. The revenue is not bad and ik explained to the members that everything is going back to make a better website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People will whine about everything. You'll lose some people but you'll gain others.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course they will complain about anything new. They wouldn't want "the big man" i.e. google having anything to do with your forum.

Also, they wouldn't want you making any money from it. I guess ask them to provide a donation instead. Then I'm sure they'll love the idea of you generating some income from adsense LOL

One of my friends has a very active forum with over 30,000 registered members. He has 3 volunteers that moderate the forum and he provides a percentage of the income from Adsense to the moderators as a thank you. From time to time, there are people on the forum that dispute having adsense on the forum but you'll always get a few that will.

Keep it up, I wouldn't change it just from a few negative comments. As you said, the funds you receive will help the forum for the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a tough one. I've run ads on my forums for years and some people complain from time to time. One very active member actually just hates that I make money from the forum. I can't imagine why, being that I've spent literally thousands of hours over the years working on it. True that some of the moderators have done the same, but they enjoy it and do what they like to do. I definitely walk a fine line between my ads and the members getting upset, but I usually will change things if a lot of people get to complaining. If its one or two, then I just tell them in a nice way that I'm experimenting with some different things and may change it it or not... after its run for a while. Usually they forget about it after a while, because rarely do I hear anything else about it. And I am honest about trying things... I tweak things all the time and complaints are one thing I look at in determining what to do. I'm probably going to introduce a fee based ad-free option after the new year. I will probably give it to my biggest members free.... say anyone over a certain number of posts.
    Mike

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave it up, especially if it's going to pay to make your forum better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave the ads up and explain that it helps to pay the bills. I don't know why people would be so offended to the point of leaving unless you've got the ads plastered all over the place.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleX View Post
    Leave the ads up and explain that it helps to pay the bills. I don't know why people would be so offended to the point of leaving unless you've got the ads plastered all over the place.
    i put one adsense ad after the first post, i wonder why it upsets some people also. are they jealous? i tried to explain what i do with the money, but it looks like they don't believe me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size is the banner? 728x90 or 468x80 is ideal. Those big bulky square sizes would be annoying, but if I loved the forum I wouldn't mind too much.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd sacrifice earnings a little, but a half-way ad would be less intrusive.
    --Spark911

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offer long time members an option to view the site ad free. There are a few ways to do this. You could set a post count, arbitrarily decide and put them in a group, or create a paid subscription. I've offered a paid subscription but give them a lot more things like bigger pm boxes, more gallery space, and their own forum.