SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to promote a news tracker website?

Any idea on how to promote a news tracker website. My site tracks news for several blogs and news sites. It fetches their RSS feeds, process them and match relevant stories. The most popular stories are displayed on the site along with the latest stories.

Right now everytime a story hits front page I submit it to social bookmaring sites like ****, mixx, ...

After 2 weeks of this I'm getting between 150 - 400 unique visitors per day.

I seem to have reached a plateau.

Should I expect a better pagerank, hence more traffic from search engines, over time because of the increasing number of backlinks from the social bookmarking sites i submit stories to?

I'm still increasing my backlinks posting on as many do-follow blogs.

Any idea on how to promote it further?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats your websites address?

I dont know how many posts you need to make here before you can use your signature, but as soon as you can, put a link in your signature, and then also do the same for all the other forums you take part in.

-- Phil
    AdQuick 2.0 AVAILABLE NOW!! - AdBrite Clone PHP Script Buy Here

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website is www.gozzipz.com

I've tried the link-in-signature thing before for other websites and it didn't bring in much traffic, if any at all. I guess it's all about targetting the right people, so if I was surfing celebrities forums it could work better. That might be something to try ...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a lot of traffic from thefreesite.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also make a link when commenting on blogs. But better make sure that the owner allows it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip guys

Ok here is a progress report:

1. I started commenting on blogs that removed the "no-follow" tag. This helped increase my rank in search engine, and it's bring a little bit more traffic.

2. I started making "friends" on social bookmarking sites so my stories get better rankings too, thanks to more votes.

I've been getting a consistent 400-500 visitors / day over the last couple of days. I'm pretty happy with the progress especially considering I got these figures over the weekend which is usually slower.

I'll focus on building a lot of backlinks over the next couple of days, we'll see what the result is soon.

If you have any more tips, shoot them!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really good news, I'm glad my suggestion worked for you.

Another thing that you could do is to ask your friends in helping you with spreading the word about your site. This is not so effective method but if you sent a message to maybe 50 of your friends and 5 of them responded, then that is good enough to add more hits to your site. When they tell others about your site, through email or chat, then some of them might spread the word further.