SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Ryno
    SitePoint Community Guest

Build Rich Internet Applications with Ext

Notice: This is a discussion thread for comments about the SitePoint article, Build Rich Internet Applications with Ext.

Um... Are you kidding, that's the entire article? I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous, even as a blog post, that would've been lame.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A link to where we can get Ext or read more about it would've been useful. ;)

bone
    http://www.extjs.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    Um... Are you kidding, that's the entire article? I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous, even as a blog post, that would've been lame.
    Tough crowd. Daniel has a few more articles about Ext planned, which will cover some of the "more advanced (and interesting) features" as hinted in the article. As stated, this provides an introduction to the framework for beginners; it sounds like you'll get more out of those articles in the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyssen View Post
    A link to where we can get Ext or read more about it would've been useful.
    It appears that somehow got omitted during the edits. Duly added (dammit bone, you beat me to the punch!) .
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Read my blog.
    Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattymcg View Post
    Tough crowd. Daniel has a few more articles about Ext planned, which will cover some of the "more advanced (and interesting) features" as hinted in the article. As stated, this provides an introduction to the framework for beginners; it sounds like you'll get more out of those articles in the pipeline.

It appears that somehow got omitted during the edits. Duly added (dammit bone, you beat me to the punch!) .
    Yes - more technical/practical articles are coming very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    Sure don't want to be lame, so I better get those fingers bleeding then... :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This example didn't work in IE 7

Colyn
    Great...not another JS ui/effects library! There are plenty of them, so why do we care about Ext? Sorry to be rude, but you didn't provide any substance in this article.

Colyn
    Forget what I just said about Ext. I went to the website and checked it out. So far it's better than anything I've seen before. Nice work!

H
    Well, I was sold in the first few paragraphs, and looking forward to getting involved. The use of embedded JS from the outset I found worrying, then, as others have pointed out, I felt the article stopped before it had even really begun.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This overview of Ext features is very bad! Why didn't you show here features of powerful grid or tree widget, or window widgets instead of showing this silly, simple example?

People, go to extjs.com and see all the features there!

Artiom
    Bad example of good framework

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think the busy holidays are creeping up on everyone and stealing time. This article does fall a bit short. ExtJS is a completely amazing framework. It's the first framework I've felt comfortable committing the time to really learn and I've not been disappointed yet. Flawless cross-browser implementation and a great user community as well - violinista is a major contributor and a big help to many Ext newbies. Check it out, spend some time with it and be impressed.
    CreativePro Office: The online office for creative professionals.

Tigo
    The examle seems work with IE7, but not not with Mozilla Firefox(!!!).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, your first example, in FF, does not work correctly on the first button click. After the first click, it begins to work. The first click, it speeds through the fade out and fade in, stalls at about 60% opacity and then finally returns to 100% opaque.

The second example works correctly the first time through, but doesnt work exactly the same as your 1st example. The second example's fade-ins and fade-outs are MUCH faster than your first example's. I would assume that this is adjustable via the attributes of the EXT framework.

troyb
    The EXT framework caught my attention recently. I decided to check it out because it was recommended for use in developing Adobe AIR applications. It also looked like a possible replacement for the prototype/scriptaculous combo.

Imagine my surprise when I found the framework (the provided examples at least) were totally broken with JS turned off. I find this ironic as the preceding article discusses unobtrusive JS.

The demo page located at: http://extjs.com/deploy/dev/examples/
    has some amazing examples of UI designs / design patterns, but if you are like me, I always like to "Test" out dynamically generated JS pages to see if the content is still accessible. Well, the page "hangs" with a never-ending loading indicator. C'mon! at least display a warning or message! Don't just break with no warning!

Does it even matter? If we are creating a RIA with JS, is it even possible to make it accessible with JS turned off? Sure! Just fallback to the traditional client server page reloads. Jeremy Keith touches on some good ideas in his DOM Scripting text(s).

Perhaps the EXT folks didn't go to this extent for the demo page(s), But I would like to know if the entire framework foregoes this concept or if it indeed builds accessible fallbacks into the thought process of using EXT?

Being unobtrusive to the point of dynamically generating all of the structure and content perhaps falls short of the spirit of unobtrusiveness; which I feel, also includes the concept of accessibility.

At this point, why not build the RIA in Flash/Flex? At least they still work with JS turned off.

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troyb View Post
    Imagine my surprise when I found the framework (the provided examples at least) were totally broken with JS turned off. I find this ironic as the preceding article discusses unobtrusive JS.
    i fail to see how a UI library written ENTIRELY in javascript can be expected to work when javascript is turned off? the point of the library is not to improve upon the standard web controls, but to offer functionality not currently available in (X)HTML.

every decision made when developing an application is a trade-off. in this case, if you need or desire the features that Ext implements, then javascript becomes a requirement. if you need the application to degrade, then pick a different library.

troyb
    longneck,
    of course the EXT JavaScript framework is written ENTIRELY in JavaScript! My point is that at this stage of the game we all need to address SOME level of gracefully degrading performance; especially in a professionally crafted UI framework.

Of course we make trade-offs based upon our projected audience's requirements. That still doesn't mean that we totally shut out the remainder of the potential audience with an absolutely broken experience.

Fortunately, I can pick another library, but can't you see that brushing the problem off as me being a kook doesn't address the issue that this great library could potentially lead to a web full of RIAs that slam the door in the face of those in restricted situations? Again, if that is the case, then why not develop with Flash/Flex? Even they at least attempt to address accesibility.

I am all for pushing the boundaries of web experiences for the fully functional among us. Yes, there are situations that can't be degraded gracefully despite our best intentions. But RIAs typically deal with data/information that should be accessible.
    At the very least, TELL me that I need JavaScript turned on!