SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internal Link Spam???

Is there such thing as too much internal links. I have a forum and I am planning to place a mini sitemap of the boards the footer so it shows in each page. Is this link spam even though they are internal links?

Thanks

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

link SPAM

I wouldn't call it SPAM. I guess it would be relative to how may links there are. Certainly most sites have common navigation links that are on all pages. But if you have lots of pages, I wouldn't clutter every page with a large sitemap footer. I have heard of something called Page Rank dilution. Something about how Google passes part of the page rank to the links on it. So in this case a page with fewer links will retain more of it's rank. But I don't know if this is still valid and, if so, to what extent it happens.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this kind of navigation genuinely helps your users get around your site I'd go for it. If it just duplicates links that appear elsewhere on a particular page I'd forget it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the mini sitemap will show up in all parts of the forum I mkean all pages. since the board links shows up in the front page only...so I guess I'd go for it

thanks

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that if you have a lot of internal links on all pages, it will dilute the pagerank of your more important pages, and somewhat confuse the search engine. It might be better to focus on which pages you would like to see get more traffic, and try to focus your efforts on those.