SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Directory Pages

I noticed when submitting to directories, their index page is high PR, say from 4-8, but the pages on which my site is listed has very low PR, or no PR information at all.

What are your thoughts on this?? Is it a waste of effort to submit to such directories where the page I get listed on is PR 0? I know that PR 0 is not really 0 in value, but has a very small value.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1) The PR of the page your link is on is what matters.

2) Don't focus on PR. Focus on the relevancy of the page.

3) Directory links are almost always very weak so I wouldn't expect much from them anyway.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Other than directories, do you have any recommendations and tips for getting strong links?? Like, in my niche, the only ones that are relevant to me are my competition. Is it advisable that I exchange links with them? And if I will, what can you recommend that will make the link exchange request be more acceptable?? And also in the case that my site has lower PR than the other site.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_vhoi_ol View Post
    Thanks. Other than directories, do you have any recommendations and tips for getting strong links?? Like, in my niche, the only ones that are relevant to me are my competition. Is it advisable that I exchange links with them? And if I will, what can you recommend that will make the link exchange request be more acceptable?? And also in the case that my site has lower PR than the other site.
    As a general rule, if the link is easy to get it isn't a strong link (directories, article submissions, link exchanges, forum signatures. etc.). The strong links are the ones you can't get easily or even by seeking them out. That's why links gotten from good content are so valuable. They typically are on sites that are have strength and few links and you can't get them by asking. They're added solely at the discretion of the webmaster. They are what make the difference in a page's rankings.

(Isn't it amazing how it always seem to come back to strong content?)

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Directory submissions are a great starting point to get your site indexed and also get some good anchor text pointing to your site. Getting really good links will be more the result of creating an excellent site that people love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the Google cache date for those pages. A recently cached page is a positive, regardless of what the toolbar says.