SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On General Directories

Is it better to submit to directories that specialize specifically in your niche, compared with submitting to a specific category in general directories??

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones in your niche are a little more likely to produce traffic for you, but in general it is a helpful practice to submit to directories.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Submit to any good directory. It helps in backlinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depend on the target market, if you more concentrate local market go locally, also choose the directories that have good rank and are populated.
    Convert your Ideas to Application
    UK Web Development | SEO Guru

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure site is listed in search engines and does not use no follow or it is a waist of time.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real question should be Paid or Free Directories. I own a few directories myself and I can tell you both sides of the story. Believe it or not, free directories make more money for me (as the owner of the directory) than paid directories, but when I post my websites to directories I'd rather post to Paid Directories. The site listed in my signature is a FREE directory so it seems strange that I would say that and I'm not saying that free directories aren't worth posting to BUT paid directories are better because in my opinion they generally have better sites and more "reoccuring" visitors. Both will help boost your rankings and help you get indexed faster but paid is the way to go.
    http://www.hedol.com - Human Edited Directory of Links
    http://forum.hedol.com - Public Forums with reciprocal

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points, kaeldaven. In my own experience, I have found that lots of companies are submitting to paid directories including large corporations (or the people promoting their sites). Being a cat owner, we were surprised the other day to receive a paid listing from Friskies.com.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    Good points, kaeldaven. In my own experience, I have found that lots of companies are submitting to paid directories including large corporations (or the people promoting their sites). Being a cat owner, we were surprised the other day to receive a paid listing from Friskies.com.
    ROFL, now THAT is awesome. I'd be happy getting an ad from Friskies... I'm allergic to the real thing but hey, I'm sure their money spends just as well as a Dog company.
    http://www.hedol.com - Human Edited Directory of Links
    http://forum.hedol.com - Public Forums with reciprocal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I am a directory owner-and most of my directories are general directories- I would think that Industry Specific - niche directories are the future. Hence I am slowly developing some of them.

If I were in your position- I would have typed they targetted keyword to find relevant directories and would have gone on to submit on those ranking high for the term - irrespective of Free/Paid/General/Niche directory.

This is the technique used by most big SEO companies when they determine which site is to submit on which directory.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks all. I learned a lot from your responses.