User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junjun View Post
    I don't want to sound too generic, but if you create content that humans want to read, the search engines will follow.
    And in text written for humans by humans, the range of use for the main word/phrase which most represents the subject matter is usually between 2-4%.

If you deliberately exceed that percentage in an attempt to manipulate the search engines, you risk a keyword stuffing penalty.

So..... you could argue that my 2-4% or 3.5% or whatever, is just my way of making sure my text content reads naturally and that I don't accidentally incur penalties when I'm using keyword placement to ensure the search engines focus on the keyword phrase that I want them to focus on.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Because what you just said contradicts what's been said in this thread. That's why.
    I don't know what's wrong with you people, I just post a comment about keyword density and that's it. I thought it will help somehow, but its your opinion.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jvr View Post
    I don't know what's wrong with you people, I just post a comment about keyword density and that's it. I thought it will help somehow, but its your opinion.
    Basically you contradicted what most people had argued in this thread, especially by offering a percentage to shoot for, and offered nothing of substance to back it up. It shows you didn't bother to read the thread which isn't looked upon favorably. Good netiquette would have had you read the entire thread first and then post a response within the context of what has already been discussed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Actually it doesn't, it just contradicts you.
    Actually it contradicts the members who have been in this SEO forum for a long time and proven their SEO knowledge.

And in text written for humans by humans, the range of use for the main word/phrase which most represents the subject matter is usually between 2-4%.

If you deliberately exceed that percentage in an attempt to manipulate the search engines, you risk a keyword stuffing penalty.

So..... you could argue that my 2-4% or 3.5% or whatever, is just my way of making sure my text content reads naturally and that I don't accidentally incur penalties when I'm using keyword placement to ensure the search engines focus on the keyword phrase that I want them to focus on.
    That number is still arbitrary and doesn't even address the fact that if their is such a thing as keyword density it isn't going to be a flat percentage but rather fluctuate depending on multiple factors. That's why you can't shoot for any particular percentage. You're only aiming for a made up number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with anyone, Stymiee just pointed out that that we've actually talked about the myth/concept of keyword density earlier in this thread. This is a friendly forum, let's keep it that way

EDIT: Oops didn't see Stymiees reply while I wrote this reply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically you contradicted what most people had argued in this thread, especially by offering a percentage to shoot for, and offered nothing of substance to back it up. It shows you didn't bother to read the thread which isn't looked upon favorably. Good netiquette would have had you read the entire thread first and then post a response within the context of what has already been discussed.
    Actually, I'm an SEO student, and based on my research, It's 2-4%. That's it. As simple as that...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually, I'm an SEO student, and based on my research, It's 2-4%. That's it. As simple as that...
    And if you read this thread you can see why that number isn't accurate.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The admin needs to close this thread before someone gets hurt

Obviously, if you don't have any of the keywords in your copy, you will not rank for those keywords because no search engine can read your mind alone . As far as putting a number to it, I'm not sure if I agree. If you are writing on a topic, the keywords will naturally go into the copy. If it works out to 2-4 % that's great. I certainly would not keep a calculator handy.
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you read this thread you can see why that number isn't accurate.
    I'm not saying that it is accurate, what I'm trying to say is that for BASIS. Isn't ok if you will look that number as a basis for your keyword density? Of course, not everybody will agree to that.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what you are trying to say is that statistically, based on research of human speech patterms, when you talk on a topic, your keyword density is around 2-4%. In that case, it would make sense for google to 'losely" use those numbers as an indicator of the quality of the copy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEO student

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it contradicts the members who have been in this SEO forum for a long time and proven their SEO knowledge.
    I'm sure it does, but you didn't say that, you said it contradicted what's been said in this thread. It doesn't, since both sides have been argued.

It does however contradict what's been said by people who don't agree that keyword density is an issue. Lets not give the wrong impression with inaccurate replies.

I don't know how many times I have to say that I'm not 'aiming' for a number, you're just not getting that bit. It's like you stop reading as soon as you see the phrase 'keyword density' and a percentage.

Jvr, can you post some of your research?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icheb View Post
    SEO student
    Aren't we all?

Don't stoop to ridicule, it's beneath this forum.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm sure it does, but you didn't say that, you said it contradicted what's been said in this thread. It doesn't, since both sides have been argued.

It does however contradict what's been said by people who don't agree that keyword density is an issue. Lets not give the wrong impression with inaccurate replies.

I don't know how many times I have to say that I'm not 'aiming' for a number, you're just not getting that bit. It's like you stop reading as soon as you see the phrase 'keyword density' and a percentage.
    Sorry, but the members who have proven themselves in this forum over the long haul simply carry more weight then members who waltz in here and decide they're going to provide contradictory information on a whim. Maybe I should have said, "you contradicted everyone who has provided a valid explanation of why keyword density is a red herring and didn't provide anything resembling a logical explanation"?

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Actually, this percentage thing is quite interesting. Tell me how you calculate a long-tail keyword phrase? Say three words long. Are you considering it as one "keyword"?

The search engines will look at it as three. Put a three word phrase into Google and you'll find your words listed singly, as a two word phrase, and as a three word phrase. Which is the percentage you're targeting?

Nearly every single "Keyword Density Tool" on the web calculates keywords differently. Some include stop words. Some calculate single words and some calculate several words. Which is your tool of choice?

Certainly calculating keyword phrases isn't done for your readers. Putting a percentage on keywords is only a way to manipulate search engines. In that case, it's a definite "no" as far as Google is concerned since any attempt to manipulate Google will result in penalties if found out.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I should have said, "you contradicted everyone who has provided a valid explanation of why keyword density is a red herring and didn't provide anything resembling a logical explanation"?
    Yes you should have. What you actually said gave a completely different and misleading impression to new members.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Which is the percentage you're targeting?
    Sigh....

For the umpteenth zumpteenth whumpteenth time, I'm not targeting a percentage nor recommending that anyone else does.

I don't understand why you guys keep missing my point, it's really not that hard to understand or am I explaining it really badly?

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes you should have. What you actually said gave a completely different and misleading impression to new members.

Sigh....

For the umpteenth zumpteenth whumpteenth time, I'm not targeting a percentage nor recommending that anyone else does.

I don't understand why you guys keep missing my point, it's really not that hard to understand or am I explaining it really badly?

Sorry JJ... that wasn't directed to you. It was directed towards anyone who thinks they know how to calculate keyword density. You've proven in this thread that you are willing to listen to both sides of the case and make your judgment accordingly.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Certainly calculating keyword phrases isn't done for your readers.
    Right on!
    Example to show how ludicrous the idea about Keyword Density as part a search engine algo is, let's say we have a page with only the text "Shyflower makes websites". The Keyword Density is 33.34%.. and that proves what?
    Dr. Garcia (from ccswhiz' link) mathematically proves why keyword density cannot be part of any modern search engine algo, because it simply does not help in proving relevancy. SEO experts like Dan Thies agrees.
    It's time for this myth to die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right on!
    Example to show how ludicrous the idea about Keyword Density as part a search engine algo is, let's say we have a page with only the text "Shyflower makes websites". The Keyword Density is 33.34%.. and that proves what?
    Dr. Garcia (from ccswhiz' link) mathematically proves why keyword density cannot be part of any modern search engine algo, because it simply does not help in proving relevancy. SEO experts like Dan Thies agrees.
    It's time for this myth to die.
    It proves nothing, you're right.

As I've said several times, I think keyword density is only a factor if you over-optimise in conjunction with the keyword placement.

If you had a page that only had on it 1000 instances of the name Marylin Munroe in the text, we both know that it wouldn't do well because Google would know that it's not a useful page for human visitors. But would it get penalised?

I think that it's more likely to get penalised if the same keyword phrase also appears in all the important places, indicating a deliberate attempt to manipulate the search engines.
    Last edited by JJMcClure; Dec 29, 2007 at 07:00.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    let's say we have a page with only the text "Shyflower makes websites". The Keyword Density is 33.34%.. and that proves what?
    What that proves is that you are not aware of statistical probability. Google will not use their algoryths on a small chunk of text. If you have that little text to offer, you will be joining the MFA's shortly. Google does analysis on a decent sample of copy. It's the only way it can determine accurately what the page is about. I'm no guru or anything, but it seems only logical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I've said several times, I think keyword density is only a factor if you over-optimise in conjunction with the keyword placement.
    If keyword density is not relevant, there won't be any 'penalty'. Googles algo already has things in place to determine document relevancy, so why use factors that are not related to it? I've seen nothing reliable to support this belief. On the contrary.
    In the field of SEO there are conflicting view going on all the time, but the minimal requirement is to go beyond the "I think this is true" without backing it up with anything else (such as tests, logic, even experience). There are examples of #1 results in Google with pages of 90-100% keyword density.

If you had a page that only had on it 1000 instances of the name Marylin Munroe in the text, we both know that it wouldn't do well because Google would know that it's not a useful page for human visitors. But would it get penalised?
    We almost agree here I would think it would be probable that it would not do good based on Googles regular determination of relevancy, which does not include keyword density. There are pages similar to the ones you describe above that does rank #1 on it's own phrase. I think maybe your belief about the penalty comes from what you think makes more sense (or maybe from reading what some people say about keyword density), and not from any observations/tests/examples.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraDC View Post
    What that proves is that you are not aware of statistical probability.
    I've actually studied statistics, albeit 10 years ago, but I don't think it's relevant It does prove that I was not able to get my point across, but see below for better example.

Google does analysis on a decent sample of copy. It's the only way it can determine accurately what the page is about. I'm no guru or anything, but it seems only logical.
    A page with 500 words and another with 2000 words can have the same keyword density. Again it helps nothing in determining which document is more relevant. It does not take into consideration where the words occur in the document or their context. Click the Garcia link provided earlier in this text.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does not take into consideration where the words occur in the document or their context. Click the Garcia link provided earlier in this text.
    This is actually interesting. I was not aware that placing keywords at certain spots on the page had an effect on SEO. Care to elaborate further on this? I know that placing keywords near the top had some effect, just don't know how much.

I think we should not speak of density, but rather speech patterns. When we speak on topic, keywords will flow naturally into the copy. It's only when we try too hard, will we overuse the keywords. That's what google is monitoring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is actually interesting. I was not aware that placing keywords at certain spots on the page had an effect on SEO. Care to elaborate further on this?
    Matching and groupings is a way to find context in information retriaval. Google has been working on this (maybe working on it, we can't know for sure), since at least 2004. See this video where a Google rep is explaining. http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.aspx?rID=3898
    Matt Cutts have been describing something similar as Latent Semantic indexing.
    Again, this is not something you need to pay much attention to in SEO. Just make sure you normal sentences and Google will figure out the rest. If you want to SEO your text with respect to theming, make sure you structure your content in themes, and make sure there's additional keywords present that are connected to the theme. I guess... I've never optimized content this way, and I don't think it's needed if your regular content for users is good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont even think that if you had a keyword 15 times would help your ranking in the serps compaired to 5 times on a page.

I personally dont care about this thing called "keyword density" at all. Just slap your keyword in your title tag, h1 tag, and then a few times in your content and you will be fine

If you are worried about putting your keyword in 10 1/2% of your content than you have spent too much time doing math

Im joking, but bkcook... i know we have said it a bunch, just focus on your quality content and your link building

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. After 5 pages we finally know the truth