User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a powerful Web Browser

Hi guys,
    I recently started a home-based online job. I use internet explorer but I it gives a lot of error messages while surfing. I want a browser that provides more features and I wish to open multiple sites in a single window task. Can anyone help me with a suitable and powerful web browser?

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give these 3 a look:

Firefox
    Opera
    Safari

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ditto the 3 above.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think just everyone these forums would give a ditto for the 3 that Johnny replied. They are quite commonly considered to be the best browsers available.

I think as far as the transition goes, Firefox is the easiest to transition to from IE, though the others aren't difficult either. I personally use Firefox because of the wealth of plug-ins available for them that add lots of functionality.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cayden View Post
    It provides 101 features that make surfing the web more comfortable and less confusing.
    Could you enumerate those 101 features that a Firefox installation sans extensions offer – over other browsers – to make surfing more comfortable and less confusing? Or at least some of them?
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internet Explorer 7 fulfills all those requirements quite well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Internet Explorer 7 is, by far and away, one of the worst browsers on the planet. A bumbling, incompetent pile of hooey still stuck in 1997 and unable to perform modern methods, nor compete with modern browsers. An embarrassment to Microsoft who, even its developers and Bill Gates himself, admit "doesn't have everything people want it to have".

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only browsers worse than Internet Exploder 7 are browsers with the same name but lower number on the end.

The three most popular standard compliant browsers are Firefox, Opera, and Safari. There are thousands of other less popular standard compliant browsers that most people have never heard of.

You need to be rrunning at least Internet Explorer 12 in order to be running a version of IE that is compliant to the 2007 standards. Of course by the time IE12 is actually released you will need IE16. Unless you own a time machine, obtaining a version of IE that actually works properly to the standards is imposssible.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No browser complies to the "standards" and no browser can. It's a false argument. The W3C standards haven't been implementable since HTML 4. Firefox, Safari and Opera don't implement them, they just implement a couple more of them than IE, and lack a couple things IE does do. By the way, if it's all about standards, let's have them drop XMLHttpRequest, innerHTML, and all those other things that make sites like this work but aren't technically compliant.

Firefox has been slow and bloated since 1.5, and Safari for Windows is a bug fest. Opera is the nicest browser of the bunch, but IE7, thanks no doubt to its integration to the OS, is fast, lean, and more stable than FF or Safari... and it's got the tabs that were asked for. If you've already got it, why switch to the only other real option, Opera, when probably <5&#37; of sites are tested against it?

Once I got tired of Firefox 2 either leaking memory or randomly crashing after I open and close a hundred or two tabs (normal in the course of an hour if I'm reviewing orders), I started using Opera. It feels a lot more responsive, especially with many tabs open. I still switch back to IE7 for certain sites and if I need to open a couple PDFs at once, which I often do, since Opera hangs occasionally on that.

Firefox is now relegated to forum browsing only... until I break the habit of clicking its icon for that.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As several people have already advised you, Firefox, Opera and Safari are all quality browsers, while Internet Explorer rivals Vista and Zune as Microsoft's biggest joke. The one caveat I would add is that you shouldn't limit yourself to Firefox, Opera OR Safari. There are so many differences, it's worth your while to install and use Firefox AND Opera. Of course, you'll find Safari pre-installed if you own a Mac.

Incidentally, Opera is suing Microsoft for bundling Internet Explorer with Windows (some sort of anti-trust violation) and, more significantly, for thumbing its nose at the standards the rest of us live by...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...e/article.html

Though Firefox gets far more publicity, tiny Opera continues to make some enormous contributions.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As the move toward web access from devices other than computers grows the market share of Opera (which runs on just about all platforms) should grow with it. Firefox (which runs on most platforms) already has a better than 50&#37; market share in some areas. Safari has already started to expand onto more platforms although they are a long way behind Opera and Firefox in what platforms they support. Only Internet Explorer is limited in where you can run it - it has been a windows only operating system for five years now with no sign of Microsoft ever developing versions for other platforms. Of course that may change as their market share continues its feee fall.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give only this 1 a look--firefox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Firefox, Safari and Opera don't implement them, they just implement a couple more of them than IE
    And through your whole post you conveniently ignore IEs poor support for CSS, and the DOM and Javascript and SVG and no support for XHTML, etc. while all other browsers are reasonably up to date.

Firefox has been slow and bloated since 1.5
    False statement.
    and Safari for Windows is a bug fest.
    Compared to what? IE? Hah!
    Opera is the nicest browser of the bunch, but IE7, thanks no doubt to its integration to the OS, is fast, lean, and more stable than FF or Safari... and it's got the tabs that were asked for.
    The fact that IE7 doesn't work with the web has a lot to do with it.
    If you've already got it, why switch to the only other real option, Opera, when probably <5% of sites are tested against it?
    If you write to standards then it works in Opera. If you write to standards then IE will break it.
    Once I got tired of Firefox 2 either leaking memory
    Another false statement. Your lack of knowledge in this area is showing.
    or randomly crashing after I open and close a hundred or two tabs (normal in the course of an hour if I'm reviewing orders),
    Then what's wrong with your install? Or is it Windows crashing FF? I do the same with no problems.

The point is, all versions of IE are 10 years behind web standards and hold back the web.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Once I got tired of Firefox 2 either leaking memory or randomly crashing after I open and close a hundred or two tabs (normal in the course of an hour if I'm reviewing orders), I started using Opera. It feels a lot more responsive, especially with many tabs open. I still switch back to IE7 for certain sites and if I need to open a couple PDFs at once, which I often do, since Opera hangs occasionally on that.
    No offense but if you're opening and closing 100-200 tabs in an hour, there's probably a MUCH more efficient way to go about your tasks than what you're currently doing, whether it's inside or outside of a browser.