SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEO & DZOIC Handshakes social networks

Okay first off, i love Dzoic Handshakes as a platform.. it is pretty darn good on a number of features.

My major Gripe and maybe someone can help me with this, is that the coding is soo complex that it is really not search engine friendly.

my main site has thousands of inbound links and im trying to rank for Hawaii weddings, and hawaii wedding and am stuck in the mid 150 range.

I have a normal site with only 250 backlinks targeting hawaii wedding photography and ranks 25# on google for Hawaii wedding..

With the amount of backlinks i have for that Dzoic Handshakes site I should easily be #1, if i had a static html site..

Anyone got ideas on how to counteract these issues?

It's getting to the point where i might build a static landing page...

If you know something useful drop me a line or a post!

thanks
    Last edited by stymiee; Dec 11, 2007 at 16:02. Reason: urls removed

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quantity of backlinks means nothing. You need to optimize your pages and site and then seek quality links to them.

Also, static pages are not special and do not rank better then dynamic pages.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Quantity of backlinks means nothing. You need to optimize your pages and site and then seek quality links to them.

Also, static pages are not special and do not rank better then dynamic pages.
    The quality of backlinks have nothing to do with this case.. Ive links coming from Dmoz and many other wedding related sites. As i said, i rank for Hawaii weddings with another site, with less links (some of the same).

And maybe i shouldn't have said "static", but the complex PHP/ Smarty coding that Handshakes use, definitely bogs down the SERPS in this case.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pstatus View Post
    The quality of backlinks have nothing to do with this case.. Ive links coming from Dmoz and many other wedding related sites. As i said, i rank for Hawaii weddings with another site, with less links (some of the same).
    Dmoz is a quality link as is links from related websites so how can you say quality is not a factor?

And maybe i shouldn't have said "static", but the complex PHP/ Smarty coding that Handshakes use, definitely bogs down the SERPS in this case.
    Search engines don't see server side code so this is obviously untrue.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dmoz is a quality link as is links from related websites so how can you say quality is not a factor?
    I said it had nothing to do with this case.. In relation to comparing the two, meaning BOTH sites have quality links coming in.

In any case, the site im talking is developed enough where it should be top 10 for a key phrase that isn't too competitive.

and that handshakes is not seo friendly. I would be willing to bet my next born that if created a static page with similar content that in less then a month i would top 5 for my key phrases.... but what a pain in the a$$ that would be...

thanks for your insight.. if you have any thoughts about things I CAN do, besides persuing link partners.. let me know.. im all ears..

Someone suggested i put no follow tags on less important areas of my site to prevent PR bleed to other pages.

I guess it is something to think about.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I said it had nothing to do with this case.. In relation to comparing the two, meaning BOTH sites have quality links coming in.
    Unless they have the exact same links then the quality will vary and make a big difference in their rankings.

and that handshakes is not seo friendly. I would be willing to bet my next born that if created a static page with similar content that in less then a month i would top 5 for my key phrases.... but what a pain in the a$$ that would be...
    Static pages are no more search engine friendly then dynamic pages.

Someone suggested i put no follow tags on less important areas of my site to prevent PR bleed to other pages.
    That's bad advice. Removing perfectly good pages from your site reduces your opportunity to use those pages to your benefit.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey stymiee, you think you can pinpoint the problem with my site? The site dropped to #240 for Hawaii weddings

Do you think i am being punished penalized or linked to a "bad neighborhood"?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There could be a lot of reasons for it. You may want to get a website review and see what the members here have to say about the site and its SEO.