SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CentOS of RHEL/Fedora Linux

I have downloaded CentOS linux but I am getting errors when installing. I have contacted CentOS but I am still awaiting a reply.

In the meantime, I was just wondering what the actual difference would be from CentOS and Rehat Enterprise Linux/Fedora?

I want to install a linux OS and learn to use it. I use CentOS for my webserer but would it really be that different to Rehat Enterprise linux as I heard it is a rebuild?

Basically If I learn Red Hat Enterprise Linux/Fedora Linux would I be able to use CentOS later on? Or would they be completely different?

I just want to learn linux (i dont want Suse or anything else though) - either redhat or centos.

Altho unbunto is supposed to be good, right?

What are your thoughts on these linux OS's?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to learn linux then stick with it and figure out why it won't install. As far as I am aware there is little difference between RHEL and CentOS but then The closest I have got to either is Fedora and I didn't like that much. Ubuntu might be useful to start with but is supposed to be in the same category as CentOS, Fedora, Slackware etc and be good for beginners. If I were you I would search around CentOS forums and find out why you can't install it. If you are using it on your server you might as well use it at home also.
    http://www.glasys.co.uk
    Noli Illegitimi Carborundum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK, CentOS is the free unsupported version of RHEL. I installed it many years ago and liked it quite a bit. However, even though I'll boot other live disks, I'm Ubuntu all the way now.

What exactly are your install errors?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies.

Hi Earther, here is my thread on the centos forum mentioning the problem - http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/...11619&forum=37

Doi you have any idea's as I have not recieved an answer from them yet.

Thanks for your time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much memory do you have in your laptop? Are you able to run any of the 'live' cds?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this link will help you but it is the closest model number to the one you gave that I could find. If it is an older laptop you may have some problems with the amount of ram. For instance I have not been able to install Ubuntu (7.04 or 7.10) on machines (desktops) with 256 of ram. Other distros may differ. If this is your problem you could try xubuntu or DSL. Knoppix is always a good live cd to try as it has excellent hardware support.

Good luck I hope you sort it out.
    http://www.glasys.co.uk
    Noli Illegitimi Carborundum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I have managed to install Ubuntu Feisty (and upgraded to Gutsy) on an old Dell with less than 350MB ram. It takes a while though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you leonglass and earther for your help. The laptop has 256MB DDR ram and a 1.6GHZ processor. Maybe it is not good enough to run linux. I do have a few copies of SuSe linux but I really wanted to learn CentOS Linux as that is the software on my dedicated server and it is supposed to be a great web server software operating system.

Hmm.. I guess I best buy another machine to run CentOS on.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try installing Xubuntu (a variation of Ubuntu) or DSL (Damn Small Linux) as leonglass suggested.

You might want to take a look at this page

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any reason you decided on an enterprise distribution for a personal laptop? That aside, CentOS and RHEL are the same except the RedHat name is stripped in a few places. I wouldn't be surprised if more web servers around the world are running CentOS than RHEL.