User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Addict silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quade View Post
    I own a web directory and from what I see most of the traffic is from people that want to put up their link. It's true that I can market to them..but actual searchers are rare.

-Quade
    That's because your link farm does not provide benefit to users. It only exists to spread pagerank. And this is exactly the kind of spam link farm wasting peoples time.

However, if you were to create something that was considered a resource for those within a particular niche / locality, then people might actually use it!

Arguably, to be useful, any directory that one creates today must provide even greater utility for end-users than the default (i.e. google, yahoo, msn) search options available. There are some information portals on particular niche topics that I'm interested in that return more reliable (and consistently more relevant) results because they have been edited by humans who have taken time to ensure the info contained in them is relevant and comprehensive. By browsng one of these resources, it's often possible to locate sites that would not even make it into the top 20 pages of google, et al. Yet they are entirely relevant.

Why? Because, oftentimes, the top 20 pages of google's search results provide nothing more than links to the sites of webmasters sufficiently inclined to hunt out SEO opportunities. In other words, the sites that do make it to the top - at least intially - often get there as a result of submissions to eroneous spam link farm directories.

If you build a real directory (which contains worthwhile content) you can save peole time and energy. If you do this, then much in the same way that word-of-mouth spreads for other good content resources, you're in business. If you don't (and all you do is create yet another spam link farm) and you have no right to expect that you have a business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hairybob View Post
    Directory software is growing up too. Edirectory - www.edirectory.com is a case in point. It is a complete portal solution. Unlike many of the other link and linkbid scripts on the market, it is not designed for those contemplating a generalized spam link farm. By the way, and before anyone starts jumping up and down, I want to state that I am not connected with edirectory in any way - other than as someone who respects and admires the work they are doing to take directory software to new levels. In my opinion, their product is nothing short of excellent!

As DVDuval knows, I've never been a huge fan of phplinkdirectory. Not because I dislike him personally, as has been suggested in the past. Far from it - I respect his entrepreneurial pursuits! However, in my opinion, scripts such as phplinkdirectory - which provide only limited info on the sites being linked to, display no images, request reciprocal links, and include a linked site's pagerank as standard features, encourage people to construct spam link farms. I know there are exceptions to this rule. And I know the script can be modified. But when all is said and done, you'll struggle to find one site using phplinkdirectory - irrespective of the mods applied - that even comes close to having the functionality of a site built with edirectory's out-of-the-box script.
    Well the edirectory script is very impressive to say the least, but well it should be at the price. They have done a fine job I will agree But some of the points you make about the phplinkdirectory script are optional if people choose to use them such as the pagerank and reciprocal link features. I for one use neither one, and they can both be turned off in the admin panel should a directory owner choose not to display them. All in all it would be best if Google just dropped the whole PR deal and that would clean up a lot of the problems but that's another story.
    The php Link Directory script was designed I am sure to be a good quality directory script at an affordable price and from all I have seen does this job very well. It was not designed as a complete business portal so comparing features of a $25.00 script to a $2000.00 would not really be fair. I will agree with you though that if someone wanted a nice portal solution and didn't mind spending the $2000.00 then that edirectory is a very nice quality turn key solution.
    But as far as doing different things with phpLD, it can be setup and modified to almost anything you would like, with work and imagination. I have almost finished modifying one into a version that offers just about as many features if not more than the edirectory script. It offers a directory with multiple submissions options including (live rss feeds to the site displayed, private contact form, additional site resource links with descriptions), classified ads, and article submissions all powered by php Link Directory. I just have done a lot of modifications to start getting it setup the way I would like for the type of site that I want to create.

As far as link farms - it's not really any scripts to blame. It's just what the directory owners decide to do with them. A bad owner can trash a $2000 script as easy as a Free one if they don't want to try to run a quality directory.

Anyway if you would like to see one site that I am working on that uses php link directory and has many of the edirectory feaures it is:
    International Business Directory
    It still has lots of work that I want to do to it but I think it gives an example that people can take the phplinkdirectory script and make a directory/portal type site if that is what they want to do.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topsite View Post
    Not dead. If you try niche directories you can get good PR in Google.
    Not really. If you submit to enough you'll get a little bit of PR but they won't get you a high PR all by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by topsite View Post
    One link on skaffe.com can put you on top of Google. Front page!
    Sorry, but that's not true.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If directories are as good as craiglist then I may say that they have some competition with search engines. But their popularity is not that known that a few internet users are using them, mostly localized users. I myself don't know the popular directories for I often use google and yahoo to search something I want.