SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quantity Versus Quality of Backlinks

In the case of backlinks, when will quantity surpass quality of backlinks?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be way up there, if at all possible.

One quality link could be worth 1,000 junk links, since it is possible that some back links give you no help what so ever.

Really, I would say just don't concern yourself with when what will surpass what and just focus on getting all of the quality back links that you can get.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing some keyword/link analysis today and I saw one instance where the top ranked page had 0 links and the 7th ranked page had over 50,000 IBLs (on Google).

We can only surmise that the 50,000 IBLS were awful quality for the top page to be beating it without any. I didn't look too hard at the other factors although I will be doing if I think I can compete on that page for that keyword.

But, it just shows the range between quality and quantity can be pretty big. There probably isn't an exact answer to your question.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In what respect?

Spending hours every day getting a load of crappy links surpasses accumulating good quality links due to your excellent content. In terms of wasting time.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    I've been doing some keyword/link analysis today and I saw one instance where the top ranked page had 0 links and the 7th ranked page had over 50,000 IBLs (on Google).
    It could also be that it had nothing to do with links and the fact that on page factors were determining the position.

Backlinks are obviously important but if you're doing some analysis then you can't just focus on one area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    It could also be that it had nothing to do with links and the fact that on page factors were determining the position.

Backlinks are obviously important but if you're doing some analysis then you can't just focus on one area.
    Yes, I think I said something about that in the paragraph underneath the one you quoted.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good topic. I would like to think that if someone working for a search engine looked at my site, they would find quality. In many cases, it is obvious when looking at the backlinks of a site that the links are of low quality, and were acquired through automated techniques. I could imagine this having some affect on rankings or pagerank to more sites in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if you link your site in the footer of a forum which creates automatic pages?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think I said something about that in the paragraph underneath the one you quoted.
    Do you mean this paragraph?

We can only surmise that the 50,000 IBLS were awful quality for the top page to be beating it without any. I didn't look too hard at the other factors although I will be doing if I think I can compete on that page for that keyword.
    You can't really say that it must be awful quality either. Maybe they're optimized for different keywords and by chance they also rank quite highly for the keywords you were testing against.

Maybe if you'd targeted the keywords/phrases that they've optimized the site for then you'd find that they rank in the top position for these due to the amount of links and the good on page factors and good content?

Also, have you considered things like what anchor text is being used in the links that are being counted as links? They don't contribute in anyway to PR but will count towards ranking position for a certain keyword/phrase.

What you've said could quite possibly be true but at the same time the opposite could also be true.

You need to look at the whole picture to do any kind of analysis which was the point of my previous post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't really say that it must be awful quality either. Maybe they're optimized for different keywords and by chance they also rank quite highly for the keywords you were testing against.

Maybe if you'd targeted the keywords/phrases that they've optimized the site for then you'd find that they rank in the top position for these due to the amount of links and the good on page factors and good content?

Also, have you considered things like what anchor text is being used in the links that are being counted as links? They don't contribute in anyway to PR but will count towards ranking position for a certain keyword/phrase.

What you've said could quite possibly be true but at the same time the opposite could also be true.

You need to look at the whole picture to do any kind of analysis which was the point of my previous post
    I think we mean the same thing. Of course I'm considering all those things, if a site with 50k IBLs can't beat a site with 0 PR then there are a lot of potential reasons for them not helping the page rank better for that particular keyword phrase which I just covered with the word 'awful'.

It's entirely possible that it's ranking accidentally for this phrase which is I have to say is unlikely given the keyword context, which I'm aware of and you're not, but I would consider it a good result if that was the case. Easier to beat.

You have no idea what I'm focussing on and what I'm not. You took one sentence written in a particular context and made a whole bunch of assumptions from it about my entire analysis process, and you did it in a sarky way which doesn't exactly endear you to me.

By all means be helpful, but don't be sarcastic and superior when you don't actually have all the facts, in fact don't be when you DO have all the facts..... I plan to post here for a long time and I'd much prefer to get on with you. Specially as we live in the same county and share a love of CSS.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there

I think the simple answer is surely quality over quantity, i have experimented with both, a site getting lots of links and a site getting just quality links, the quality links proved more fruitful !

Woc
    ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have no idea what I'm focussing on and what I'm not. You took one sentence written in a particular context and made a whole bunch of assumptions from it about my entire analysis process, and you did it in a sarky way which doesn't exactly endear you to me.

By all means be helpful, but don't be sarcastic and superior when you don't actually have all the facts, in fact don't be when you DO have all the facts..... I plan to post here for a long time and I'd much prefer to get on with you. Specially as we live in the same county and share a love of CSS.
    My post wasn't meant to appear sarcastic or in anyway suggest superiority. It was purely to emphasize to others that other factors need to be considered as the post may have been misleading to some.

Obviously, you're aware of the other factors involved so please don't take the previous comments as a personal attack at your post, they were simply expanding upon it to add further clarification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My post wasn't meant to appear sarcastic or in anyway suggest superiority. It was purely to emphasize to others that other factors need to be considered as the post may have been misleading to some.

Obviously, you're aware of the other factors involved so please don't take the previous comments as a personal attack at your post, they were simply expanding upon it to add further clarification
    In that case I apologise for taking it the wrong way, I think it was the winky face that made it look like it was aimed at me rather than at other people who might have been mislead by what I wrote - perhaps being a bit sensitive...

Thanks for your input.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USPB View Post
    What if you link your site in the footer of a forum which creates automatic pages?
    Those links are so weak that they really don't matter very much in the grand scheme of things

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    world peace.

the links are weak when there's so many other links pointing out from the page too.

For the sake of curiosity, I think it's a nice theoretical experiment to find out how many worst-case awful pages are equivalent to a quality page, of say, a certain PR.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USPB View Post
    In the case of backlinks, when will quantity surpass quality of backlinks?
    This is a troublesome question.
    When will a number of PR 0 pages, down to the least possible PR, surpass the quality of a certain PR page? Provided all else are equal--the anchor text, the theme or whether the page belongs to the same vertical niche as yours, the number of outbound links from the page, etc.

I don't know. But what I do know is that in the real world, you can't get that condition where all else are equal, at least not naturally.