SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Competitors backlinks quality scoring algorithm

Ok, I've browsed through all the threads I can find on checking backlinks and tried most of the tools that people have recommended, the ones that are still online that is.

I need to be able to analyse the backlinks to the top ten sites returned in Google (I'm in the UK) that are competing for keywords that I might use in an optimisation campaign. This means being able to see all their backlinks and being able to analyse their quality, not just quantity.

Basically, after much testing, I've come to a point where I can only think that developing my own system or algorithm is the way to go. I haven't the time to set up a unique account in WebCEO for each and every site because there may be hundreds per campaign. So I'm thinking that using something like smartpagerank.co.uk, which at least shows me the results from 4 se's at once, saving me a bit of time, and coming up with some kind of balancing formula, as simple as an average number of links maybe, might do the trick

Unless anyone knows of a tool or method that can anlayse backlinks properly, and quickly?

Thoughts?

(EDIT: Since I'm primarily optimising for Google, is there any reason why I can't just ignore the other se's results and concentrate on what Google is telling me, I just need to make sure that the links I create are at least as good as the ones Google deigns to show me?

Also, do I need to beat the number and/or quality of links to the index page or only to the page that is showing in the SERP?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, the best I've come up with for doing a competitive analysis on links is to use yahoo's site explorer.

I enter the URL of the page I want to analyse for the true number of IBLs, and qualify the search using -site:www.xxxx.com so that I don't get internal pages.

For IBLs from other domains to my competitors, I'll be looking at the sites to see if I can beat them with better quality IBLs, but for general analysis should I include the competitors internal URLs? Are they actually helping them?

I daren't mention PR, I'm not even sure if I understand it anymore.

(EDIT, just came across this- SEO Theory

If you’re going to use Yahoo! for your link research (a generally bad idea, especially if you’re concerned with Google’s search results), then make sure you eliminate as many backlinks as possible. You don’t want to see internal links in a Yahoo! backlink report. You don’t want to see more than one link per domain in a Yahoo! backlink report. If you can figure out how to get rid of the bogus, non-existent backlinks that Yahoo! reports, you may actually find some useful information.

Most SEOs are not aware that Yahoo! reports false links. Yahoo! will show you links it scraped from Javascript. Do not ever, under any circumstances, for any reason, bet your competitive advantage on a Yahoo! link report. You’re a damned fool to use one in the first place but if you’re just looking to see who is building links it MAY give you an indication of relative link strength.
    )

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you tried www.rankalert.net?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    So far, the best I've come up with for doing a competitive analysis on links is to use yahoo's site explorer.

I enter the URL of the page I want to analyse for the true number of IBLs, and qualify the search using -site:www.xxxx.com so that I don't get internal pages.

For IBLs from other domains to my competitors, I'll be looking at the sites to see if I can beat them with better quality IBLs, but for general analysis should I include the competitors internal URLs? Are they actually helping them?

I daren't mention PR, I'm not even sure if I understand it anymore.

(EDIT, just came across this- SEO Theory

If youíre going to use Yahoo! for your link research (a generally bad idea, especially if youíre concerned with Googleís search results), then make sure you eliminate as many backlinks as possible. You donít want to see internal links in a Yahoo! backlink report. You donít want to see more than one link per domain in a Yahoo! backlink report. If you can figure out how to get rid of the bogus, non-existent backlinks that Yahoo! reports, you may actually find some useful information.

Most SEOs are not aware that Yahoo! reports false links. Yahoo! will show you links it scraped from Javascript. Do not ever, under any circumstances, for any reason, bet your competitive advantage on a Yahoo! link report. Youíre a damned fool to use one in the first place but if youíre just looking to see who is building links it MAY give you an indication of relative link strength.
    )
    I think it should be enough to consider only the competitor's inbound links from external sites. Yes, internal pages help.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info on Yahoo link report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_vhoi_ol View Post
    have you tried www.rankalert.net?
    Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like they get their data from Yahoo so I'm kinda back at square one.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed at some times they even report more backlinks than yahoo reports! But I like this one better as they show the PR of the pages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_vhoi_ol View Post
    I noticed at some times they even report more backlinks than yahoo reports! But I like this one better as they show the PR of the pages.
    I'm not really looking for the PR, I'm looking for the most accurate way to assess a competitor's backlinks.