User Tag List

Thread: PR Transfer

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PR Transfer

Let's say I have a domain site1.com and it has a Page Rank = 5 and other pages on this site too have a good page rank e.g.

site1.com/about.html has PR = 5, site1.com/solution.html has PR=4 etc.

Now I want to use a new domain say site2.com for my website and want users to use only this new domain.

If I do a permanent redirect (R=301) using .htaccess on my old domain (site1.com), will it also transfer the page rank for all inner pages?

Or, will I have to do a permanent redirect for all inner pages separately? E.g.

Site1.com -> site2.com [R=301]
    Site1.com/about.html -> site2.com/about.html [R=301]
    Site1.com/solution.html -> site2.com/solution.html [R=301]

(Regex: site1.com/[a-zA-z]+\.html -> site2.com/$1.html)

Or could I do the PR transfer of inner pages by just doing it for the domain alone?
    Site.com -> site2.com [R=301]

Please suggest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it will, as long as you use 301. It will show up in the next PR update

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It will but the effect will be delayed and you will temporarily take a hit in the rankings. How long it takes has been estimated at several weeks to several months.

You'll need to do a 301 redirect for every page but that is very easy to fortunately:

Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?old-domain\.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.new-domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for your comments. I think the best time to do this is 2-3 weeks before the next PR update however no body except Google knows about its schedule.

BTW I am not sure why other search engines like Yahoo, MSN etc. have not introduced their own PR system. I guess they should also start ranking web pages.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by viv5 View Post
    ...BTW I am not sure why other search engines like Yahoo, MSN etc. have not introduced their own PR system. I guess they should also start ranking web pages.
    No please, we have enough headaches as it is, with this "silly" PR system from one SE.
    Daoist System Theory - DST
    Responsible Travel to Africa - ecoAfrica Travel
    Wing Chun and Taichi - Kungfu

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for your comments. I think the best time to do this is 2-3 weeks before the next PR update however no body except Google knows about its schedule.
    Kinda pointless to do since not only don't we know when the update will happen and we don't know how old the data is they are showing in the toolbar. It could take 6 months or more for the redirect to be reflected in the toolbar PR. Plus toolbar PR is meaningless. Once they acknowledge the redirect the PR will be transfered and factored into the new pages. You just won't be able to see it in the toolbar.

BTW I am not sure why other search engines like Yahoo, MSN etc. have not introduced their own PR system. I guess they should also start ranking web pages.
    The odds are they have their own version of PageRank. They just don't advertise it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AJKock View Post
    No please, we have enough headaches as it is, with this "silly" PR system from one SE.
    Yeah to me SERP is more important than PR. But still it gives you a good feeling that your site has PR=5 or 6