SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Blogging about the ads on your website

I've seen a growing number of sites (generally either resource sites or information portals) that have blogs in which they talk about their ad policy and possibly associated revenue.

Is this a kind of psuedo black hat method around the bad old 'click on the ads to support us' ? What do you think the benefits could be about being open with visitors on your ads and your use of them? More importantly do you actually think this increases revenue? Do you think the pitfalls of talking about this subject outweigh the benefits?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I'm sure there are times when it's beneficial, I would imagine it's more often not. Ultimately what you have to ask yourself is "do my users care"? Adding content no one wants to read can be worse than adding nothing and I would doubt many people on a site about say holiday decorating care about your ads. A few might be interested in the site's revenue as it pertains to stability but beyond that, I'd doubt it. On the other hand, for a site about webmaster issues, blogging about your own ads could be a good article and even a case study in progress that might attract more traffic.

If your goal is to get around telling people to click ads you're going to end up hurting yourself in the long run both by having bad content and sending low quality traffic which will, ultimately, mean less ad revenue.
    - Ted S

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The point you make about adding irrelevant content is certainly a pertinent one. I guess I should have looked more closely at the sites themselves. Now I think about it, the ones I have seen are the type you describe - 'case studies' would probably fit.