SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Some Help With Ads – Kind Of A Unique Situation

Here is my situation:

My partner and I created an online website builder tool that just went mainstream about a week ago called Doodlekit. This product allows people to create free online websites. In order to supplement the free websites, we have put ads on the side and in the footers. All free websites are sub-domains of http://doodlekit.com.

We were using Google AdSense ads, just for a few days, but then they suspended our account for violations of their terms. This is a long story, but to keep things simple, let’s just say that they will not tell us why they did this but we suspect it’s because of the sub-domain websites.

We are currently working with Yahoo Publisher. They are aware of our unique situation and we have been using their product now for almost a week.

Here are some stats for our first week. Again, this is just our first week:

1) We have had over 2000 free websites created for the week. (an average of 300 websites a day).
    2) These free websites (according to Yahoo Publisher) produced an average of 11, 054 ad unit impressions each day.
    3) These numbers are exponential – this is only our first week. Next week we will still have the old 2000 free websites plus another 2000 new websites, and the week after that another 2000 on top (or more, this number will probably go up each week).

My questions to all of you are:

1. Is 11,054 ad unit impressions a day good? What is a good number? Is there a number we should hit before we try and sell banners independently to companies?
    2. Is there a better advertising product besides Yahoo that would work for this unique situation? What would you suggest?
    3. Are there other ad products that show ads based on content? This seems to be the best solution for us since our user’s content range in everything from computer gaming to growing flowers. We cannot ‘pick’ ad types because our websites vary in content so much.
    4. What type of ads would be best for this situation? CPM, CPC, or CPA?

Thanks for you help in advance!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kego View Post
    1. Is 11,054 ad unit impressions a day good? What is a good number? Is there a number we should hit before we try and sell banners independently to companies?
    That depends on how many ad units are on each page . Still that works out to about 5 per site, and if you count this in terms of page views that's not bad IMHO. I think the point is that the numbers will grow as you say so the sooner you start offering ad spots the sooner you can bring in some revenue.

2. Is there a better advertising product besides Yahoo that would work for this unique situation? What would you suggest?
    Why not run your own in-house ad system? you can then control rates, placements and keep 100% of the profits.

3. Are there other ad products that show ads based on content? This seems to be the best solution for us since our user’s content range in everything from computer gaming to growing flowers. We cannot ‘pick’ ad types because our websites vary in content so much.
    Surely if your clients sites are categorised then you can target based on category?

4. What type of ads would be best for this situation? CPM, CPC, or CPA?
    Why not offer all three and let the buyer decide which is best for them?

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are big enough with good enough growth prospects to approach an ad sales firm like Gorilla Nation. I would give it a shot. If it works out give as an indication of the CPM rates if possible
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer View Post
    Why not run your own in-house ad system? you can then control rates, placements and keep 100% of the profits.?
    This might be too much work for us now, and then we run into the same problem: Who do we talk to to get ads placed here? Do you just call up individual companies?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer View Post
    Surely if your clients sites are categorised then you can target based on category?
    ?
    Doodlekit website have no categories. The users just write about whatever they want to on the site. We have no idea what kind of site it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostpitable View Post
    I think you are big enough with good enough growth prospects to approach an ad sales firm like Gorilla Nation. I would give it a shot. If it works out give as an indication of the CPM rates if possible
    Unlikely. From their site:

What are the minimum requirements to become a Publisher Partner? What criteria does GN employ to evaluate prospective sites?

All Publisher partners are required to have a minimum of 500,000 page views per month. The reason is that because we sell all media on a site specific basis, this traffic threshold is the level at which a site becomes monetizeable to a branded advertiser independently.

Beyond general traffic requirements, GN also looks for the following:

1-2 IAB standard ad placements “above the fold” (ex. 728x90, 300x250, 160x600)
    Strong editorial content
    Cohesive and clean look and feel (Include link to current GN partners)
    Unique sponsorship opportunities
    Bear in mind that the information above is used as a general guideline for evaluation and is not necessarily indicative of the criteria used in all instances.
    An interesting site, though...
    ->Outsource Here<-
    Dreaming of the 4 Hour Workweek? Visit SigePo and start living
    a more relaxed lifestyle. Mention SitePoint for special pricing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks BillyParadise - thats what I was looking for. We may just continue to use Yahoo until our numbers get up to 500,000 page views per month (which should'nt be too long). Then we will start looking around for some better contenders than Yahoo.

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't want to whine but I was actually the one who came up with the original link Billy worked out what the entry requirement is.
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory