User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for windows software developers

Hi,
    this is a question for windows software developers.

I noticed there are two kinds of software window interface on windows.

Programs like photoshop, words..... seem to have an "os" window interface; with the os menus, icons.....

On the other hand, there are software where all the interface seems to be rebuilt with custom graphics. It is the case in the image attached to this message (have a look).

I very much prefer window interface of programs like photoshop or word.

Technically speaking, from a developer point of view, what is the difference between the two interfaces ? Is it a different programing technology ? How to translate the difference into proper developers words ?

Thanks,
    Koros
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    been thinking about this question since reading it, something i've thought about from time to time since getting into the developer side of things. so, here's my 2 cents...

i think the framework/platform has much to do with the interface look, either by the platforms's structure or the culture surrounding the platform. .Net and Java both have distinctive interface looks. Visual Basic (pre .Net) was more driven by the culture of the programmer, hobbyist/self-taught vs Enterprise/Business, IMO. I've done some work with a proprietary 4GL language/platform and it had it's own look as well.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that it depends mainly in the public you are directing your software to. If your program will be a practical software to do some kind of administrative work, you do not want people distracted by "cool" looks. You want it professional looking but looking pretty much as any other. The reason is that this is what people are used to. If you read a GUI book, one of the things it says is that your applications should look as close as possible as any other in terms of interface, so people will have a sense of familiarity and will find things where they expect it, therefore reducing the frustration of learning a new software.

Now, if you are creating a entertaining software (like a new mp3 o movie player), you can be more creative. People will expect it to look different from the regular software and therefore will not get annoyed because they have to dig a bit more to find a particular feature of the new software.
    Last edited by molona; Dec 11, 2007 at 02:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's a good point molona