SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

winter is around the corner Tomer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Branding - long term?

I was wondering, if someone was shown an ad for some company once, lets say the CTR would be X%, do you think that percentage rate would be higher the second time the user saw the same company advertising. Would it be even higher on the 3rd time...and on and on?

And by how much would this matter?

[I recently advertising somewhere and was wondering if maybe I would get higher results next time]

- Tomer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read that the average person has to see an ad 7 times to act on it...but it they are searching for it..its a different story...
    Evan, CEO
    Experience Advertising, Inc. Affiliate Program Management

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tomer,

I think "branding" in general is mostly overrated and best saved for companies that have six figure ad budgets - but like webvicious mentioned, many people need to be exposed to a companys products or services more than once before they'll consider doing business with you.

In regards to the newsletter ad you're running, chances are you'd see more sales if you had it running once a month for the past few months, but I know it's expensive so it's easier said than done.

Steve

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I read the article about the 7 visit theory back around 2000. I haven't seen a recent study, but my guess is the number has improved slightly as consumers have become more comfortable with buying on the Internet.

However, the article wasn't about seeing an ad seven times. It was seven visits to a website before they made a purchase from that website. I think this is more accurate and explains why conversion rates are so low, especially for sites that depend upon affiliate income.

I don't think branding is over rated, but I do think that many web businesses have the wrong take on how to go about branding their businesses. Branding is simply building a "picture" in your customers' and potential customers' mind so that when they think about the products or services you offer, your business comes to mind.

In that respect, the more often they see your ad, the better are your chances that they will associate your type of business with your company... if your ad or ad campaign does a good job of promoting not just your business name but what you offer to your customers.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally the more people see something, the higher the tendency to gain interest in it. While advertising, I have discovered that my click thru rate gets higher after advertising in the same place a few times.

But, make sure your first ad makes some profit before placing again.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it would depend on the nature of the users on the site.

For example, a blog that has steady repeat traffic would act differently than a tutorial site that attracted users for one or two times.

On a site with repeat traffic, if you change your creatives slightly on each renewed buy, but maintain the same message and branding then your CTR should go up. When the CTR levels off, if you're still happy with the conversions make significant changes to the creatives so that user interest is renewed or so that you reach a new section of users on the site.

winter is around the corner Tomer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm, well the answers here have been mixed, so not sure what to do yet.

I'll probably a week or so to see all the results, and then decide if to continue or not. :/

Thanks guys

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Branding is definitely not overrated. And, it is more than what consumers view a company/product/service as. It is the core basis of what the company, etc. represents as well as how it is perceived by consumers (branding aims to make them one in the same).

Branding should be consistent in every way. That doesn't mean you cannot alter an advertisement, etc. in regards to the audience it is intended for, but the core should remain consistent throughout.

Good branding means you understand what the consumer values and needs. It connects with consumers on emotional levels, making your brand the only solution to their needs.

Best,

Clickbooth B
    Clickbooth
    The Exclusive CPA Network
    http://www.clickbooth.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Branding makes people acquainted with the product or services being advertised. Did you ever think why TV commercials always repeats the same advertisement for a week or for a month. This makes the viewers familiarized with the product or service being repeatedly shown on TV.

This is also the same in the internet, first time viewers may or may not have interest in what is being advertised but when they see it often they will become familiarized with it and when they needed that product or service, they will remember (I hope) where they have seen it.